Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chicken Yakitori and Yaki Onigiri

CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 948
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
This was my first cook from The Japanese Grill and it was awesome. I learned a few things that I'll change up next time, but still very happy with results.

My swing grate was showing some rust so I cleaned it and used for this cook. I needed a middle level and next time will use my AR at the felt line. The foil covered fire bricks recommended by the book worked okay, but a few wood skewers burned so I think the extra height will help.

I also need some practice forming the Yaki Onigiri rice...they held together but I never could get the traditional triangular shape.

I was really impressed with the Yaki Onigiri, which I had never eaten before.

Paired with a Washington Riesling which worked well on a hot summer day.
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
image.jpg 1.1M
image.jpg 851K
image.jpg 728.7K
image.jpg 739.3K
image.jpg 810.7K
image.jpg 810.7K
image.jpg 770.8K
·

Comments

• calikingcaliking Posts: 6,586
    Nice cook! You keep busting out some really cool cooks.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • rholtrholt Posts: 368
    Looks interesting. I like most Asian flavor a so I am sure it was a hit.
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,519

Very nice. I have to get into Jap cooking. I see they have a kindle edition, makes me want to try it. Any comments on the book?

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • Glad you got the book, Cparktx.  Lots of great recipes in it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 948
    Thanks @caliking, I enjoy the variety and have been learning a lot. @Aviator this was my first cook from the book, but I see a bunch of recipes I hope to try. I've seen a few posts here from others that have it and they were positive too.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
    ·