Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chicken Yakitori and Yaki Onigiri

CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,047
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
This was my first cook from The Japanese Grill and it was awesome. I learned a few things that I'll change up next time, but still very happy with results.

My swing grate was showing some rust so I cleaned it and used for this cook. I needed a middle level and next time will use my AR at the felt line. The foil covered fire bricks recommended by the book worked okay, but a few wood skewers burned so I think the extra height will help.

I also need some practice forming the Yaki Onigiri rice...they held together but I never could get the traditional triangular shape.

I was really impressed with the Yaki Onigiri, which I had never eaten before.

Paired with a Washington Riesling which worked well on a hot summer day.
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
image.jpg 1.1M
image.jpg 851K
image.jpg 728.7K
image.jpg 739.3K
image.jpg 810.7K
image.jpg 810.7K
image.jpg 770.8K
·

Comments

• calikingcaliking Posts: 6,978
    Nice cook! You keep busting out some really cool cooks.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • rholtrholt Posts: 368
    Looks interesting. I like most Asian flavor a so I am sure it was a hit.
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,524

Very nice. I have to get into Jap cooking. I see they have a kindle edition, makes me want to try it. Any comments on the book?

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • Glad you got the book, Cparktx.  Lots of great recipes in it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,047
    Thanks @caliking, I enjoy the variety and have been learning a lot. @Aviator this was my first cook from the book, but I see a bunch of recipes I hope to try. I've seen a few posts here from others that have it and they were positive too.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
    ·