Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Converting friends

Kosko
Kosko Posts: 535
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
I have a few friends that have had steaks off my egg but have never had any ribs off of an egg. I think this may be what will push them to buying one! I am smoking 2 racks of baby backs today and will introduce them to the best ribs they will put in their mouth. ( all because of the egg) . Happy Labor Day to all the eggheads!
Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Keep us posted...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Most people balk at the price of entry, my brother made fun of my egg but purchased a knock off at Lowes for under $500 and I have to admit that it does a pretty darn nice job.

Gerhard
  • gerhardk said:
    Most people balk at the price of entry, my brother made fun of my egg but purchased a knock off at Lowes for under $500 and I have to admit that it does a pretty darn nice job.

Gerhard
    I'd agree that they do a great job, but you loose out on the warranty and that was a pretty good selling point for me.
    Aurora,OH
  • I've had 1 neighbor and 3 good friends purchase BGE's since eating food off of mine. Need some kickback from those folks at the mothership :).
  • I think the egg temp management seems more reliable than my brothers as well and goes longer on a load of lump.

What I find is that most people are convinced that charcoal is a pain to light, is dirty and seem not to believe that one load of charcoal will do 20+ hours low and slow.  Yesterday everybody was really impressed by the brisket but when they heard 11 hours they tuned out and the other comment is all I want to do is turn a knob and I am set to go.  I have no urge to be an evangelist for the egg so I just say what ever works for you.

Gerhard
  • I'm a bad influence on my friends as well converted 10 to homebrewers and 6 to egg like cooking only two to eggers tho
    HFX NS
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    My friends are cheap and just keep showin up @ my joint. At least they bring good beer/booze.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Hey if they bring beer, that's a good trade. Let them not know what they are missing. I usually think I can cook better anyway.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    As soon as someone buys a home in our office, we bring up the topic of getting an egg.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I know the model at lowes has a 800 warrantynnumber. Not sure about a lifetime warranty. I have a $100 kamado I got off cl. If it cracks I'm ok... To the dump.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Kosko
    Well , the ribs were a hit! I think I made believers out of the egg today! One of my buddy's has been waiting one for a while, just hasn't pulled the trigger on one. My other buddy is a brainwashed gasser user who thinks charcoal takes to long to cook with. But he now knows you,can't cook ribs that good on a Gasser! Had an awesome Labor Day with friends and ate some dang good food!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I was cruising through Home Depot on Saturday with my dad and we were looking at garden tools adjacent to the grilling aisle. I overheard an employee trying to upsell a lady on a gas grill when she was asking about weber kettles. "charcoal takes too long to heat", "you have to clean the ash", "dirty" ... You know, the typical stuff.

I walked up and said "If you get a gas grill you might as well just cook on your oven. It doesn't taste any different and isn't really grilling."

Needless to say, she walked out with the weber kettle.

Totally felt like this guy:

• Kosko
    My dad says: gas is for indoor cooking , charcoal is for outdoor cooking.