Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Raising grill grate

Is there a way to elevate the grate so that it  is even with the edge of the egg, without using the plate setter?
·

Comments

• boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    I use some pave stones.
    Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • Fire bricks, empty beer cans...

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,460
    I believe you are describing "raised direct" cooking and to get there just pound 3 beers and then balance empty cans (two key words) on the fire ring and you are good to go. Beyond that there are many after market rigs and the easiest (IMO) is to get another grid (weber works ) and then jack it with cans, fire bricks , bolts or your call...
    Louisville
    ·
  • I use an extra (broken) fire ring, stack 1 on top of the other. I had 2 fire ring crack on me, my brand new fire ring is still in the box.

GO BLUE!

Springfield, Va

·
  • I use a woo 2.  I also bought a half sized fire ring for searing cooks.  If I really want high in the dome I put the half ring on top of the regular ring, and the woo 2 on top of that.  On one rib cook I bent the thermometer probe when closing the lid!

Dave

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,725
    edited September 2013
    Extra grid from Lowes and 4-4 1/2" bolts. Cheap and easy. Here is what I made before I bought a PSwoo3.

In this pic I was using both grids with the PSwoo3 For raised direct just put your original grid on the fire ring and the homemade rig on top of that
    image.jpg 2.2M

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • Don't know why the pic didn't attach correctly Just click on the thumbnail

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • I used three regular masonry bricks (cheap!) before I got my grid extender.
    -Jody Newell (LBGE & a mini BGE!)
    ·
  • Woo2
    Chris
    Falls Church, VA
    Large & Mini
    ·
  • eggoeggo Posts: 435
    I use the adjustable rig$$$$ but works great. No more platesetter.
    Eggo in N. MS
    ·
  • portaporta Posts: 88
    Cheap and temporary way to accomplish this is using bricks, beer cans etc.., the most practical and clean way to do only this is a Woo2, and finally the best way to do this and many many other things is a Adjustable Rig.
    68% of statistics are made up on the spot.
    ·