Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did I cook to long?

Options
awm
awm Posts: 181
I started the baby backs for 2 hours around 250 275. Then foiled them with apple juice for 1.5 hours l, took off foil and back on for about 25 min. I was planning on doing another 30 min but I went ahead and tried the bend test. Well there wasn't much bend before they just fell apart. They were moist, tender and tasted great but I'm just wondering if over cooking or to much foil time caused them to break apart. This is just my 2nd time with ribs so still trying to learn.

Comments

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    So the last ribs I did I foiled, had never done this before. During the foiling the ribs steam and this releases the meat from the bones and creates those fall off the bone ribs. I had the same issue you did in trying to get them back on the egg to finish as mine just fell apart. They tasted great! But the texture was very soft.

I don't think I will foil mine in the future as I like a little more pull to my ribs.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Just don't foil as long...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I have found that if I foil for over an hour, my BB ribs come out too soft for my preference. I like to do them at 225-250 and they're done when they pass the bend test. I've had them take as long as 6-7 hrs. When they took that long, I think I opened the egg too many times to check on them so it added to the cook time. I was working in the yard that day and in no hurry but they just smelled so good! 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I only foil for whatever time I need to top off the other cook items.  Always turns out well.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Might also check your gauge to be sure what temp you are cooking at. I am also not in the foil camp,but my ribs are always readying 100 mins anyway.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gerhardk
    Options
    I use to cook 3-2-1 and then switched to 3-1-1 and have found the texture to be much nicer.  I keep the dome temp below  250º during the cook.

Gerhard