Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

1st overnight butt

Decided that I've more or less figured out the simpler cooks (steaks, ribs), I'll give the overnighter a try.  Staggered fist-sized chunks of hickory and alder in my charcoal stack.  Fired up egg, immediately put in plate setter, drip tray and grid.  Once nasty smoke cleared, shut grid and got it to about 250.  Put in my 10lb pork shoulder (injected with Chris Lilly marinade and homemade rub) at 9:30.  Hooked up my new DigiQ DX for the first time and set the pit temp to 240 and food temp to 190.  Went to bed.  Woke at 7am to check on it.  Pit temp was steady at 240, and butt IT temp was 145.  Hit a litte bit of a stall at around 170.  Bumped up the pit temp to 285, pushed through it and hit my target temp right before 16 hrs.  Foiled the butt, put in unheated oven for a few hours to rest, pulled and served.

Comments