Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to tell when Brats are done

Options
Cooking some brats on the egg today. Not sure I know how to tell when they are done. This is so elementary I hesitated to ask. What's the secret?
Eggo in N. MS

Comments

• HNL
    HNL Posts: 31
    Options
    I like to cook brats to an internal temp of around 190-195
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I cook to around 150-160. Cook to temp. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    160° is the USDA minimum temp.
    Flint, Michigan
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    If you don't have a good meat thermo-I really don't think you can over cook them.  Don't know if your recipe calls for the beer bath or not but around 15 mins direct with the dome 350*F or more and you will be good to go.  I never worry about temperature with brats-FWIW-YMMV.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Brats are almost always raw (uncooked).  So you want to cook them to a safe temp, 140 F is fine if you hold them there for a couple hours, or 160F and they're done and instantly safe.  Anything higher, and they might get more tender as the connective tissue turns to gelatin.  They're un-screw-up-able, if that's a word.
    Options

That's not only a word, it's a great concept when it comes to egging.

:D
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Agree with my friend from the other Delta town, NOLA, brats are unscrewupable (I prefer the single word) cook to 160º - and you can avoid splitting and save some of that great juice by inserting the thermo through the end not the side.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cajunduck
    Options
    The same way I do with boudin. When dey poppin' dey ready.
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    cajunduck said:
    The same way I do with boudin. When dey poppin' dey ready.
    The cook is over and I found out cajunduck, you are right. I pulled them when all 5 started spewing through the side. Never got to stick them with the thermo pen.  They were delicious.
    Eggo in N. MS