Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

1st overnight butt

Decided that I've more or less figured out the simpler cooks (steaks, ribs), I'll give the overnighter a try.  Staggered fist-sized chunks of hickory and alder in my charcoal stack.  Fired up egg, immediately put in plate setter, drip tray and grid.  Once nasty smoke cleared, shut grid and got it to about 250.  Put in my 10lb pork shoulder (injected with Chris Lilly marinade and homemade rub) at 9:30.  Hooked up my new DigiQ DX for the first time and set the pit temp to 240 and food temp to 190.  Went to bed.  Woke at 7am to check on it.  Pit temp was steady at 240, and butt IT temp was 145.  Hit a litte bit of a stall at around 170.  Bumped up the pit temp to 285, pushed through it and hit my target temp right before 16 hrs.  Foiled the butt, put in unheated oven for a few hours to rest, pulled and served.

Image 13.jpg 150.5K
Image 14.jpg 92.8K
Image 11.jpg 109.9K
Image 9.jpg 142.8K
Image 2.jpg 145.8K
·

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    Nice bark...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Nice smoke ring too! Good job.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,425

What, no comment on how it turned out, tasted?

Looks like you nailed,

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • Looks Great. Congratulations!
    ·
  • Sorry, jaydub58, you're right.  Forgot to mention how it tasted.  To sum it up, tasted like it looked.  Awesome.  
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,425

Well awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwright!

That's just how it looked!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • mgoblue0484mgoblue0484 Posts: 92
    edited September 2013
    Looks good Pitmansevensix! Had some pulled pork this weekend myself. Had a BBQ for the 1st Saturday of college fooseball! Go Blue!

GO BLUE!

Springfield, Va

·