Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Shakin Hands With My Wok

I recently purchased a wok and have completed 2 fried rice cooks (semi-sucessful).  My issue is even with with highly rated welding gloves purchased from Amazon, my hand is getting extremely hot in a short amount of time.  Does anyone have a specific brand and model that they have had a good experience with? I also have a stainless steel wok spatula that is taking off some the seasoning from my wok - should I ditch it and go bamboo or will the wok "toughen up" the more I use it?  Thanks!
·

Comments

• Do you have the wok with metal ring handles instead of an extended wooden handle? I have some good elbow length welding gloves, but I can't hold the wok when it's ramped up. I'm not sure that's ever really going to happen.

I too use a metal spatula and notice I get some scratches in the seasoning. It doesn't seem to cause sticking out anything, and over a few cooks it seems to have diminished.

Love the wok/egg combination.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,861

If you ever go into a Chinese kitchen you will only see metal spatulas and spoons in the woks.  The patina over time will have no damage done to it.

Some Wok thoughts!

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1277637&catid=1

·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,613

These are the best I have ever come up with.  Actually terry cloth.  Machine washable (due for a monthly trip to the washer now!) and super-efficient.  I can pick up a pizza stone that has been at cooking heat for quite a while and then look around for a place to set it, no rush.  Same with any metal like cooking grid, whatever.

Amazon.com, search for Bel-Art Clavies Auto Clavie Gloves.  $28 a pop, and just great!

006.JPG 2.7M
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,613
    Ooops, I goofed.  I bought the 13" size at $23.  They do show an 18" length at $28 but I didn't think I'd need the longer size.  I'm very happy with these.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,941
    I don't know if you'll find this helpful, but Indian grocery stores usually have these pincer/pliers type things:

You use it to grab a hot pot on the stove, to stabilize it while you stir. It works well with woks. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·