Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby backs & corn custard

Options
I had just applied some rub (Obie-Cue's Sweet n' Heat) on a couple of baby back ribs when my wife mentioned she had prepped some corn custard. I figured I had extra space in the Egg so why not add it to the cook.
Ribs on the Egg (no foil cook): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Put the corn custard in a cast iron skillet and put it on the upper grid about 90 mins into the cook: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Ribs sauced with Bart's Blazin' Q sauce: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Ribs off the Egg & sliced: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Had time for a taste while the corn custard was finishing up: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Corn custard off & sliced: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Plated: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Options
    That looks awesome. Just tried that rib for the first time last week and was very impressed. Any way you can share that corn custard recipe, it looks amazing! Huge congrats and bookmarked.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Recipe please...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    Good looking ribs and corn custard! Is that the same as corn pudding?
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited September 2013
    Options
    As requested:

Corn Custard recipe

1 stick softened margarine 8 oz sour cream 1 can cream style corn 1 can whole kernel corn 1 pkg Jiffy corn bread mix (dry) 2 well-beaten eggs

Drain and save liquid from whole kernel corn. Combine beaten eggs and corn liquid. Add other ingredients (she used butter instead of margarine, cut it up into pats and spread them across the skillet). I used a 12" Lodge skillet but think a 9"-10" skillet would have been fine (better if you want a deeper corn custard).

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

For this cook, my wife cut the butter and sour cream quantities in the recipe in half in an attempt to make this a little healthier. I don't recall how it tasted the last time (strictly following the recipe) to say if it was much different this time. This cook didn't taste overly buttery.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    RLeeper said:
    Good looking ribs and corn custard! Is that the same as corn pudding?

Thanks! Not sure about how it compares to corn pudding but the google pics sure look alike! The custard I cooked had a little cornbread crust to it so perhaps that would be a difference.

Bay Area, CA