Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ya'll wish me luck. About to fight a losing battle...

So my wife's grandmother requested that I do the grilling at their house this morning. Of course it will be on a gasser, and I am sure from the past that she will have a whole beef tenderloin cut up marinating in Dale's sauce. Everyone there likes their steak completely ruined with Kraft BBQ sauce on it (I just threw up a little from typing that). Your prayers would be appreciated.
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• Why don't you do a reverse sear--start out low until 115 internal temp, then pull off, crank gasser up and then sear good.  At least it will be perfectly cooked.  And, you can put some wood chips in a foil pouch and add some smoke during low temp part of cook.
  • I was going to try a reverse sear, but I do have a few Jack Daniels barrel chips left. I may do the pouch thing.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • Good ole Dale's Sauce.  If there has ever been anything that is over used, that is it.  Dale's Restaurant in Florence doesn't even marinade their steaks in it like a lot of people around here do.  They just splash a little of the sauce on the steak.  Marinading it for very long at all makes for one very salty steak.  You can smell someone cooking with it for miles.

Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    FIL... Marinade till it's like a salt block. Cook until the sirloin is tough as shoe leather..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Our thoughts are with you! Good luck with an almost impossible task. Have you considered reporting this offence to the FDA? Surely this treatment of a beef tenderloin constitutes criminal misuse of a food product.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I am asked to grill a lot when at family gatherings and such. Although I love eggs, my first love was weber kettles. I have one at nearly every place I am asked to cook at. If I don't have one, I pick one up on CL and bring it there. It's not an egg, but its charcoal and the performance is not that far from it for grilling. Good luck whatever you decide.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    My heart sank when I read the title. So glad to hear its not serious.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Bring your own steak and cook to the perfect medium rare (as well as you can on a gasser) and let them see what a real steak should look like, offer them a bite, you might convert these crazy people. Good Luck Roll Tide Roll
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I agree with @Aquacop... Changed my family
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I agree with @Aquacop except fot that ride toad thing.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Cooking on a gasser instead of the egg is tough enuff! But that crappy bbq sauce....yuck! At least get them on a mice homemade sauce! Or at least a better store bought! Good luck, at least it will make you appreciate the egg more! :D =D>
  • Well the results turned out ok, considering the battle I was up against. I dried them off, added S&P and threw them on the gasser holding around 325-375 (that's as low as it would go), pulled 2 off at 120, and let the rest go to 135ish. Then got the thing up to nuclear temps (i need longer tongs; knuckles are bald not) and seared all on both sides. Mine and my brother-in-law's were tender and edible. The others looked to be fairly tender but kinda dry.

Oh well, what can you do?
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • Drink. You can drink.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Drink a LOT..................................................... ^#(^
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon