Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Roman Pork Puller

Anyone use one of these? Any tips before I use one for the first time?
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
·

Comments

• TFolsTFols Posts: 197
    Curious to see how this works.
    Bloomfield, NJ
    ·
  • That makes the bear claws look like hard work. I thought I was pretty cool being able to pull pork in less than 2 minutes but that blows them away.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
    ·
  • Holy Crap. That thing is awesome.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
    ·
  • I didn't realize the Romans had electric drills.
    ·
  • pineypiney Posts: 538
    I think I will just stick with bear claws. JenGang I too like to throw out large globs of fat.. Kinda reminds me of Mangrates!
    Lenoir, N.C.
    ·
  • ZickZick Posts: 171
    I am sure some folks think that is pretty cool, but I would never use something like that.  I really need to ask why would anyone?  It isn't like shredding the pork is a hard thing.  Don't get me wrong, I love the gadgets but this is plain silly.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
    ·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 565
    Objectively, once you get done with dishes I'm not entirely sure this is any quicker.

Subjectively, I like pulling it.

Did he say pliers? This guy might need a survival knife to pull a splinter.
    ·
  • Credit where credit's due, that was very quick.

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • One thing bad about the Roman Pork puller is that you have the fat mixed all in the meat, I likt to get as much fat out of the meat as much as possible...

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
    ·
  • I agree, I groom mine a fair bit as I go as well. But it is fast...
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • HotchHotch Posts: 1,303

By hand is for me. For one thing it's when the cook gets his or her share.

And we all know it doesn't get any better than the first pull.

It is not only the fat I want to get out, but all the other non muscle parts.

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans

·
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 5,319
    edited September 2013
    I would think about it only because I usually burn my hands while pulling on my butt. Heh, heh, heh!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • meat73meat73 Posts: 135
    Have one and really like it but we cook 50 lbs at a time couple times a year
    ·
  • Two forks work just as well and just as fast.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·
  • Bear claws is a nice in-between for two forks and the drill. With two forks I am a little slow. $10-12 later with the bear claws and you can be done in a couple minutes instead of 15-20 with forks.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
    ·
  • No thanks! Ill stick with the bear claws thanks! [-O<
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,316
    edited September 2013
    Even the gadget guy in me says, "just pull it apart with you hands".  I do use hi tech rubber gloves though
    :D
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    That actually scares me.  I'll stick to 2 forks or the bear claws.
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,528
    I, too, am a bear-claw kind of guy!  ;;)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,790
    TonyA said:
    Objectively, once you get done with dishes I'm not entirely sure this is any quicker. Subjectively, I like pulling it. Did he say pliers? This guy might need a survival knife to pull a splinter.
    It took me a second to figure out what he needed pliers for. He may be inventing somethingto ease the transfer of the butt from tray to pot... forklift? :)

Kidding aside, this could be useful for a restaurant or commercial venture, but seems like overkill for the home. Looks like it would be hard to control how fine you pull the meat?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • I don't mean to sound like a jerk here, but if you need a power drill to pull pork, you're doing it wrong. Take some time to watch Aaron Franklin's video on pork butt, and just skip towards the end. It should come apart that easily and quickly.
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·