Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Labor Day Spatchcock! Pics as the day progresses

portaporta Posts: 88
edited September 2013 in Poultry
Happy Labor Day! It's just the ol' lady and I today so a chicken was the winner. Spatch'ed and sitting in the fridge to dry out. Going to rub w/ some DP and cook at 400 raised direct til 165 breast 180 dark with a chunk of apple wood. Will post before, during, and after cook. Happy Labor Day!
68% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Comments

• portaporta Posts: 88
    Rubbed w/ a smidgen of EVOO and DP rub. the skin was nice and dry after 3 hours in the fridge.

On the grill at 400 with 2 apple chunks.

• Lookin good so far. Man that is a clean gasket!!!

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
    Lookin good so far. Man that is a clean gasket!!!
    15+ cooks and she's still looking good!
  • Nice. Like the legs to the rear, typically more heat there. 
    Maybe my chickens are fattier but I air dry for up to 12 hours and dust with baking powder and corn starch, then rub. 
    Enjoy!
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    12 hours would've been ideal, It was a last minute kinda thing. I always put the dark meat towards the rear and i've never had an issue w/ mis-matched temps
  • Do you flip the chicken to the skin side half way through the cook?
    Done! 60 minutes 165 breast 185 dark! resting for 15 min. while the beans are smoking. 
    @parallel - Threw in my custom 1911 just for you.

Do you flip the chicken to the skin side half way through the cook?
    negative, if you let the skin dry out prior to cooking there is no need to flip.
  • Looks nice, very good coloring there. Did you flip at all? I usually give my spatchcock a quick blast (~5 min) skin side down at the end for a final crisp up.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    Nope, It was on for 60 min. w/ no flip. Letting it dry in the fridge is key!
  • AquacopAquacop Posts: 468
    There is no better chicken, nice cook. Cheers
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • i just got inspired and ran out and picked up a whole chicken. can you explain how to cut it please
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • Cut the backbone out with kitchen shears, then consider splitting the keel bone with a butcher's knife (I do).

The whole thing will open up and lay flat. Easy, peasy, Japaneasy.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • We have a pair of poultry shears and cut along both sides of the back bone to flatten the chicken.  It can be done with a knife but the results with the shears tend to be cleaner and less dangerous to your fingers.

Gerhard
  • JeremiahJeremiah Posts: 2,773
    Ohhhhh! Now I see why my skin was so rubbery last night! Next time ill let it dry out a while. Thanks!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
    Money shot
  • well here it is. i will let you know how it comes out. Thanks for the inspiration!!!
    image.jpg 1.1M
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • porta said:
    Done! 60 minutes 165 breast 185 dark! resting for 15 min. while the beans are smoking. 
    @parallel - Threw in my custom 1911 just for you.

Sweet!

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.