Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

smoking on the egg

I attempted smoking a brisket yesterday, have not eaten any of it yet but plan to tonight. Question, a saw a lot of smoke early on, but then it died down. When I went to check the progress of the meat a couple of hours later there was no smoke and a lot of unused chips. I  was cooking at 225. Should I be concerned that things are not working properly?
·

Comments

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,399
    Not seeing smoke is fine. There should only be wisps, and even no smoke w. just aroma works.

Once the charcoal in the lump is burning, and the vents are closed enough to restrict air flow to a minimum, the charcoal fire grabs the oxygen before the hot wood can. The wood does not burn, it just slowly decomposes into ash and mostly desirable vapor.

Early on, the lump is off gassing partially decomposed wood, driving off moisture from any wood in the chamber, and a small amount of the wood may be burning. That condition usually makes a better, heavy smoke taste. The less of that kind of"bad"  smoke, the better.

BTW, a dome temp of 225F is lower than needed. It will slow the cooking way down. 250 - 275 works better.
    ·
  • RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    For longer smokes I like chunks instead of chips. That should give you more consistent smoke. Seems like your fire hasn't spread and hit the unused chips yet.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    ·
  • Good info! Thanks!
    ·
  • RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    Np. The meat should only absorb smoke for the first couple hours. Hope it comes out to your liking!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    ·
  • Me too. I have a backup plan with some trout.
    ·