Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking on the egg

Options
I attempted smoking a brisket yesterday, have not eaten any of it yet but plan to tonight. Question, a saw a lot of smoke early on, but then it died down. When I went to check the progress of the meat a couple of hours later there was no smoke and a lot of unused chips. I  was cooking at 225. Should I be concerned that things are not working properly?

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Not seeing smoke is fine. There should only be wisps, and even no smoke w. just aroma works.

Once the charcoal in the lump is burning, and the vents are closed enough to restrict air flow to a minimum, the charcoal fire grabs the oxygen before the hot wood can. The wood does not burn, it just slowly decomposes into ash and mostly desirable vapor.

Early on, the lump is off gassing partially decomposed wood, driving off moisture from any wood in the chamber, and a small amount of the wood may be burning. That condition usually makes a better, heavy smoke taste. The less of that kind of"bad"  smoke, the better.

BTW, a dome temp of 225F is lower than needed. It will slow the cooking way down. 250 - 275 works better.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    For longer smokes I like chunks instead of chips. That should give you more consistent smoke. Seems like your fire hasn't spread and hit the unused chips yet.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Smoking Bulldawg
    Options
    Good info! Thanks!
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    Np. The meat should only absorb smoke for the first couple hours. Hope it comes out to your liking!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Smoking Bulldawg
    Options
    Me too. I have a backup plan with some trout.