Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer can chicken temp....

At what temp should I do my beer can chicken? And if indirect or direct....and also if somebody can give me a new chicken recipe I'm all ears....
"Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!

Comments

• CP92
    CP92 Posts: 318
    I am by no means a viable source of information as I've only just recently started into this community.  In fact, I'm still waiting to pick up my BGE in a few weeks (demo from a Fest).  That being said, I've been doing a lot of reading/research.  I stumbled across this. 

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/beercanchicken.htm

Seems fitting.  I'd suggest you do a search for a spatchcock recipe.  If you're curious also from the Naked Whiz site

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatchdef.htm

Curious what you end up deciding. Like I said I'm a few weeks behind you.

Best of Luck,
    Chris
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    350-400 indirect is what I suggest.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I do beer can chicken at 350 degrees.  I use a chicken sitter that sits inside the same pan I use with my inverted rack.  If you do it this way, foil the pan so there is no cleanup.  I have an XL, so I light the lump in 4 places evenly around the edges and not directly under where the chicken will be.  This gives the chicken a beautiful and tasty skin.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• I do my Chicken at 350 inderict with the plate setter and I cook until internal temp of 165 if you do the same im sure you will be happy with the end result 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • porta
    porta Posts: 88
    Agree, 350 - 400 direct until 165 breast temp. Be careful, too much wood and she'll turn into a smoke bomb!
    68% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • Suggest you try spatchcock rather than a beer can. Beer can presentation is unique, but does it really taste better?
    Chicken stands are great to get more on the grid (more vertical than horizontal) and in the egg, inverting the chicken puts the legs higher in the dome where it is hotter on an indirect cook. 
    I like raised direct spatchcock at 350-400º dome. Indirect, as high as 450º to get a crispy skin. Air dry the skin in the fridge, at least 12 hours and lightly dust with baking powder/corn starch, then rub as normal. 

Check this out as why not to beer can - some good info:
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Have you tried cider rather than beer?
  • Dfishel
    Dfishel Posts: 104
    Beer 33F chicken 165F
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    All sorts of people like spatch cocked because it is faster.  I've done side by side taste tests with spatch **** and beer can methods where the tasters didn't know which was which.  Unscientific for sure, but I've done it twice now with 10 tasters.  The results: 4 people liked the beer can better, 3 liked the spatch cocked better, and 3 couldn't tell the difference and loved both.  Bottom line: do what makes you happy - your guests will love it either way.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• I go direct and it is as good as spathcocked to me.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1156505/lazy-butt#latest

Milton, GA.
  • I can't really tell much of a difference between spatchcock, beer chicken, or just throwing the bird on whole.   I also have never found a need to dry out the skin, just straight out of the plastic, put on the rub and throw her on indirect.  The secret I found was 400 degrees.  That keeps the meat plenty juicy but ensures a crispy skin.

Given the negligible difference in taste, and the sheer ease I usually opt for the traditional approach and just chuck 'er on whole and let the egg work it's magic.

New Brunswick, Canada