Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What happened to the dwell time?

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
I put two 8-plus pound pork shoulders on at about 8:00 p.m. Friday night. I anticipated between 15 to 20 hours, as I've done many times in the past. I had my day pretty well planned. The Egg stayed at 220-240 without fluctuating over or under that range, the internal temp climbed steadily, and to my surprise, at about 6:00 a.m., the remote thermometer told me the temp reached 200. This can't be! I tested both roasts with the Thermapen and indeed, they were done. They fell apart when I took them off the Egg, they pulled beautifully, and tasted wonderful. However, I encountered quite a bit more fat than usual. I figure it didn't melt away because it didn't "dwell" for the usual time. Why on earth do you suppose this happened?? And to BOTH pieces of meat??[p]Cheers,
G.[p]p.s. They rested (double foil wrapped and wrapped in a towel) in a cooler for five full hours. I thermapen-tested the temp when I took them out and it was 150, well above the food-police danger zone. Just FWIW if you wonder about keeping meat hot.

Comments

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Usually the pork stays for 4 or 5 hours between 150 and 165 degrees.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Gretl ,
    That five hours sort agrees with what I found when I did a little test:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Holding Meat in A Cooler FAQ[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • huha99
    huha99 Posts: 16
    Options
    TNW,
    I am a one year old "pup" to the egg, thus having more questions than answers! I read your post, link, and test regarding hodling meat in the cooler. You wrote "We assume that you need to account for some of the time before and during cooking when the meat was in danger zone." I have also seen other expert eggers quote the same with regards to food safety. My question-doesn't taking the temp over 140* for an extended period of time start the "clock" over when talking about bacterial growth? Just trying to learn something today.
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I wrap products in Film 905 which is a commercial grade of seran wrap (sp). The butcher at Ranchers Gourmet Meats here in Kansas City added that foil should wrapped over the film to keep it from crystalizing.[p]Foil alone, doesn't seal as does the film.[p]

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Nessmuk,
    So, you think the meat's temp will stay up longer if you do the plastic wrap and foil? Oh, woe is me. Another experiment........
    TNW

The Naked Whiz