Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Longest Cook

Im putting a 15 LBS brisket on the BGE and would like to know how long I can expect the charcoal to last? Ive disassembled the Egg, cleaned out all the ash, and refilled the egg with fresh charcoal and hickory. The Brisket will go on about noon.  Im going to smoke for the first 6 to 8 hours, then foil, and continue the cook at 200 degrees. From everything Ive read, Im expecting about 1.5 hours per pound or 23 hours. Will the charcoal last that long? This is my first brisket and Im a little nervous about the fire going out during the night.
Thanks Guys,
Bud
Large BGE
Lawrenceville, GA

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Fill up to almost the top of the fire ring. Don't just fill the fire box.

There have been folks who've reported 30 hours on one load.

Fires don't often go out for lack of fuel. I've had a number of cases where the fire just burnt straight down the center, and when I noticed the temp drop, I only needed to stir the lump around so all the stuff on the sides fell into the burning coals.

Sometimes, low temp fires, dome under 225F, just fade away. Not enough lump burning to transfer the fire to another piece.

I don't know much about brisket, but foiling speeds cooking up. The 1.5 - 2 hours per pound estimate is for unfoiled.

Hopefully, someone w. more brisket experience will offer clearer advice.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I've gone 29 hours on a large with 30 pounds of pork at 225 and had lump left over.  200 degrees is pretty low and may be hard to maintain as @gdenby said - fire may go out so keep a watch.
  • Thanks Guys. Ill look at upping the Dome Temp some. This is my first brisket and I was using Jeff Phillip's cook recipe from http://www.smoking-meat.com/. He did a 16 lbs brisket and it took 22 hours with foiling. We'll see. I planned on putting it on at 1 or 2pm today, take it off at noon tomorrow and let it rest for 3 or 4 hours before slicing for a 4 o'clock chow down. I can adjust the rest time if the internal temp isnt where it should be.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • The brisket has been on for 18 hours so far. Checked the charcoal this morning and its only down about 2 inches from the top of the fire ring. I started with a top center fire. I guess because of the way the charcoal was stacked, the fire burnt down the right side of the pile. I scooped some of the hot coals to the top, back filled the hole , and spread the hot coals around the top. The fire popped right back to life in a couple of minutes. The down side is, my meat temp probe went out during the night. Don't know what the internal temp is. Im going to wait a few hours and then check it.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Just took it off the Egg. The first pic is yesterday just going on. The second pic is exactly 24 hours later. I think it could have come off sooner. I was confused on the Internal Pull Temp. I thought that I was shooting for 200 degrees. This thing has been hanging at 190 for the past 5 hours. I pulled the foil back and checked it with a toothpick. It went in like butter. Time to pull it and FTC for 3 hours.I got almost a half gallon of Au Jus out of the foil. I still have probably half the charcoal left.

Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Is that an XL or a L?
    NW IOWA
  • Large. That puppy almost didnt fit.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • I would have pics of the smoke ring but it didn't last that long.15 hungry people vs 15 lb of super moist and tender brisket. It wasn't pretty. Shut the Egg down after 28 continuous hours at 230. Probably had 3 more hours in it.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA