Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Just froze a few packs of

Dr. StrangeloveDr. Strangelove Posts: 259
edited 7:40AM in EggHead Forum
ABT's as an experiment, I'm curious how they'll turn out. I vaccum sealed them and threw them in the deep freeze..

Anyone have any experience with this?

• reelgemreelgem Posts: 4,256
    Let us know how they do after being frozen. Usually when I make them I make quite a few, it would be nice if this works.
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,768
    Did you freeze prepped and uncooked ABT's or were they smoked and then frozen. I would bet the uncooked ones would end up better thawed and then cooked!
  • I froze them in cooked condition, in a Food Saver™ bag. I stopped the suction when they were gently cradled in plastic, instead of letting in full-on squash them. I'll give a full report when I try them out.

Another note, I have smoked them for a short while, then had to remove them from the egg due to some unforseen circumstances and finished them the next day in the oven at someone else's home. They turned out as good or better than cooking in the egg the whole time.
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    When you warm them up,just drop the bag in boiling water for a few minutes.They won't be AS GOOD as off the EGG,but close. ;)
  • Years later, but, they turned out super tasty.  I really couldn't tell they had been frozen.

• Welcome back!  Wow!  You ain't kidding years later!  I'm glad they turned out for you.  I hope you post more!

Shangri la where life is beautiful and everybody's happy.

• Good to know.  How did you reheat them?
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,869

You learned to stop worrying and love the ABT.