Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Top Vent Gasket - Who's actually using it?

My medium came with the gasket material for the top vent.  I have done just fine without it on my XL.  I like the idea of a snugger seal, but I also worry that high heat cooks could cause the gasket to break down over time and leave me a smelly mess.  Does anyone who does pizza or clean burns regularly have experience with how well it holds up?
Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.

Comments

• I got one with my large in May and never put it on either. I too am worried about it coming off.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • NHbirddogguy
    NHbirddogguy Posts: 3
    edited September 2013
    I've had my gasket on since March, and I leave my egg uncovered (put on the green ceramic cap when not in use, but no cover for the table) and I haven't had any issues.  I cook pizza every friday, generally between 450F and 650F, depending on the crust we want.  I cook about 3-5 times per week on it, and have cooked pulled pork a couple of times around 225 for 12hrs. Right now the gasket is a bit fuzzy and dirty, but no issues at all with smell or mess.  I have a large egg.  I say go for it, it's nice not worrying about anything falling off the top when I open it up.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Had my Large for about a year and a half. I just replaced it two weeks ago.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Only use top vent daisy wheel on cooks below 300. Most of the time it's in the shed. No gasket on vent, and for the past couple months, no gasket on Egg
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I've thought about putting the gasket inside the ceramic cap.  I've never lost the DW on my XL (or my rain cap either), but I'd hate to by accident send my rain cap flying. 
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    My medium egg will launch the cover or DW without the gasket.  I did buy a nomex gasket for it though. 
    The XL has no issues with either the cover or DW.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • I have the gasket on my LBGE and haven't had any trouble so far 

+1
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • I have no issues with my gasket on the top vent
  • I have recently had to change the gasket on my egg...I replaced the old one with Nomex and I had some left over. I used leftover piece to go around the top of the egg. I have found it hold both the daisy wheel and the ceramic in place. You can now open the egg and not worry about either cap following off. Second, I have notice that the fire goes out much faster since i put on the gasket material.  I  have cooked on the egg at least a dozen times since the installation of the gasket... Not smells or damage to it let.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

My large never had a top gasket. I could see putting it inside the rain cap though, not the dome. Then cook temps wouldn't matter?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Not knowing any better, when I put my large egg together, I wrapped the gasket around the "chimney", not the inside of any cap. I haven't done a lot of high temp cooking yet, only 4 steaks yesterday @600. No mess or goo yet. The new fangled stainless steel cap I got came with a high tech gasket which I am saving for hard times. love my egg!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Can you purchase this separately or is this only available from a left over gasket replacement?
  • When I replaced my gasket,with cotronics. I cut a piece in half lengthwise and put it on the flat on top. I put the ceramic cap on and it has a pretty.tight seal from gravity. Fire is out and lump is saved.
    I prefer cooking with leftover lump all the time. I load my XL up and shut it up when over. I can get multiple cooks. With just a stir. White smoke is nearly nonexistent after first cook

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Regarding the toughness of the gasket material, if it is nomex, it is probably going to withstand anything you want to do.  When I was testing the Eggware cap, the first gasket I had was the gray felt.  I melted it in a heartbeat.  When I I used the replacement nomex gasket and did the same test, it was absolutely fine. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    edited September 2013
    dont have that gasket on my 2 larges or my small. i did get a vision kub ceramic grill that has that gasket and find i dont like it all, seems very clunky to use with the tight fitting gasket and see no reason at all to put it on a daisy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    The gasket that BGE provides looks about the same as the grey felt that Whiz describes.