Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy Wheel Dalling Off

No idea why, but after over year with no issues, my daisy wheel is now falling off every time I open my Egg...what is going on and how do I fix?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• Is your egg on a level surface? Is the gasket still on the inside of the daisy wheel? Is the hinge on the backside of your egg loose or bent? That's all that I can think of.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Gasket? Daisywheel?
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Line the dome with a gasket. How are you positioning your DMFT? Apparently, having the "Big Green Egg" logo towards the rear helps prevent this.

There is always the eggware cap.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    your egg is trying to tell you to stop using the dfmt.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited September 2013
    BYS1981 said:
    your egg is trying to tell you to stop using the dfmt.
    Big Green Egg introduced the DMFT 10-12 years ago.   They were never used prior with the egg.  The only time my egg sees the DFMT is anything under 300 degrees and smoking.  Gets in the way otherwise 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Not sure where you got the 10 to 12 years ago, but my first egg from 14 years ago already had one and I know I had seen one the year before that.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • My large is a year old.  Our distributor told us that the words "Big Green Egg" need to be to the left as you are looking at the egg.  When i do that, the screw that holds the "pivot point" for the daisy wheel is to the front of the egg.  Logic tells me that when that pivot point is to the back, it has also moved the center of gravity and causes the top to come off.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited September 2013
    RRP said:
    Not sure where you got the 10 to 12 years ago, but my first egg from 14 years ago already had one and I know I had seen one the year before that.
    I maybe should have said the first 25 years Big Green Egg didn't offer the dfmt!   :))
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Gravity, how does it work?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    edited September 2013
    Lets see...Ed Fisher started having BGE made in 1974, so add your " first 25" to that would make the daisey arriving on the scene about 1999 which was when I saw my first egg with the daisey thereon. You think it was that close? LOL
  • Someone said for cooks above 300, don't use it.  I agree 100%.  When in use keep that screw perpendicular to a horizontal line in front of the Egg or like stated above the BGE logo.   There is a PP slide show somewhere.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @RRP.. Damn broski, gonna argue about everything this weekend?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    henapple said:
    @RRP.. Damn broski, gonna argue about everything this weekend?
    Argue? Note the LOL? Besides WeberWho and I know each other from another forum...we're cool!

• Line the  screw up with the center of the handle. Keeps the lid on the wheel from sliding when lid is raised.
    Hendersonville, TN.