Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why I can’t I get my egg to settle down today?? Any ideas

I just got my egg a few weeks ago so I am a complete novice at this. So, I am sure my lack of experience is the problem. I am hoping that you guys could point me in the right direction and share some pointers with an newbie.

This is my 2nd slow and low cook I have done on the egg and everything the first time went fine. This time however will not stabilize for me. I trying for 225 to 230 and I will just bump the daisy wheel like a 1/8 of an inch or less and it will start creeping very slowly in one direction. I will let it go to about 238 or so and bump it the other way then it will start heading down. It might take a 45 min to an hour to get down to 221. So then I adjust again back the other way. I really am making crazy small adjustments on it wheel. This is the first time using a grill grate probe though. Am I just trying to be too picky trying to keep the temp within 5 degrees? 

This is a  large egg the daisy wheel is about 1/4 to 1/3 open and the bottom vent is about 1" or so open if that helps at all. 

Comments

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Just pick one and leave it. 10-15 degrees isn't gonna make a huge impact on the length and quality of the cook.
  • You're probably being a bit picky here. This is something that comes with experience, and you need some patience as well. You might also want to purchase one of the digital controllers.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    edited September 2013
    It sounds like you need to start drinking. Don't get too fusy about temps...kind of like a hand grenade...you just need to get it close.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    You are doing the same thing I did. If the recipe says 250F dome, and I know the Egg can do it, I will do it!!!. Spent 6 mo.s chasing the temps up and down, despite folks saying "don't fuss too much." 

Eventually had a cook where the temp settled in at 260, so I let it go. Food turned out great.

I now often can get the Egg to within 3 or so degrees of a particular temp. It is doable. Just not necessary. The vent adjustments are under an 1/8", just hairlines.

For most cooks, get a stable temp, and then adjust the cooking time. Lower temp = slower, higher = faster.
  • Rare
    Rare Posts: 2
    I've had the same issues on long slow cooks.  My dome temp and grate temp usually stay 20 degrees apart, dome always reading around 20 degree hotter.  I will make very small adjustments at the beginning and it will settle out around 215-220 but then for no reason 3 hours later it starts creeping down.  I never panic and just let it creep but it started to get to low down to 175-180.  I then make a small adjustment and it settles and then starts to creep up to where I want it around 220 but then it keeps on going up to 250-260.  I am really scratching my head on this and have been for my last 4 smokes.  Do I have an issue with my Egg or issue with both my temp probes?  When I make my wheel adjustments it is so minute that its almost not moving.  Any advice?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited September 2013
    Rare said:
    I've had the same issues on long slow cooks.  My dome temp and grate temp usually stay 20 degrees apart, dome always reading around 20 degree hotter.  I will make very small adjustments at the beginning and it will settle out around 215-220 but then for no reason 3 hours later it starts creeping down.  I never panic and just let it creep but it started to get to low down to 175-180.  I then make a small adjustment and it settles and then starts to creep up to where I want it around 220 but then it keeps on going up to 250-260.  I am really scratching my head on this and have been for my last 4 smokes.  Do I have an issue with my Egg or issue with both my temp probes?  When I make my wheel adjustments it is so minute that its almost not moving.  Any advice?
    Most posts refer to dome temp. It is a very rough indicator, but is usually enough to get good results

Unless you have a better kitchen oven than mine, the temp at various areas in it is quite different from what the setting is supposed to deliver.

Assuming the dome hasn't been opened recently, or more food and gear have not been added, a falling dome temp means the fire is fading. It then needs more air, and perhaps the lump should be stirred to mix the burning coals better w. the unlit lump.

There is a good chance the dome temp will creep up do long cooks. The ceramics get to the point they are hot enough to start re-radiating, and when the food gets warm enough, and is no longer sweating, the air temp reading goes up.

After 5 - 6 hours, I am not surprised to need vent settings that are all but closed in order for the dome temp to stay stable.
  • Zuma
    Zuma Posts: 50
    Maybe instead of moving the daisy wheel so much.....slide your opening on the bottom vent closer together.   I have better luck trying to get temps to regulate with the bottom vent .  May help!!