Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all had a big green St. Patrick’s Day! While you’re waiting for it to be Easter time, try some of the new recipes we’ve recently added to our website. One of our favorite dishes is the Easy Jambalaya with Beef, and our favorite sweet & savory treat is the Sweet Cream Crostini.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Daisy Wheel Dalling Off

No idea why, but after over year with no issues, my daisy wheel is now falling off every time I open my Egg...what is going on and how do I fix?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
·

Comments

• Is your egg on a level surface? Is the gasket still on the inside of the daisy wheel? Is the hinge on the backside of your egg loose or bent? That's all that I can think of.
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
  • Gasket? Daisywheel?
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,449
    Line the dome with a gasket. How are you positioning your DMFT? Apparently, having the "Big Green Egg" logo towards the rear helps prevent this.

There is always the eggware cap.
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,782
    your egg is trying to tell you to stop using the dfmt.
    ·
  • WeberWho?WeberWho? Posts: 1,453
    edited September 2013
    BYS1981 said:
    your egg is trying to tell you to stop using the dfmt.
    Big Green Egg introduced the DMFT 10-12 years ago.   They were never used prior with the egg.  The only time my egg sees the DFMT is anything under 300 degrees and smoking.  Gets in the way otherwise 
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 14,650
    Not sure where you got the 10 to 12 years ago, but my first egg from 14 years ago already had one and I know I had seen one the year before that.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • My large is a year old.  Our distributor told us that the words "Big Green Egg" need to be to the left as you are looking at the egg.  When i do that, the screw that holds the "pivot point" for the daisy wheel is to the front of the egg.  Logic tells me that when that pivot point is to the back, it has also moved the center of gravity and causes the top to come off.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

·
  • WeberWho?WeberWho? Posts: 1,453
    edited September 2013
    RRP said:
    Not sure where you got the 10 to 12 years ago, but my first egg from 14 years ago already had one and I know I had seen one the year before that.
    I maybe should have said the first 25 years Big Green Egg didn't offer the dfmt!   :))
    ·
  • Gravity, how does it work?
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
    edited September 2013
    Lets see...Ed Fisher started having BGE made in 1974, so add your " first 25" to that would make the daisey arriving on the scene about 1999 which was when I saw my first egg with the daisey thereon. You think it was that close? LOL
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Someone said for cooks above 300, don't use it.  I agree 100%.  When in use keep that screw perpendicular to a horizontal line in front of the Egg or like stated above the BGE logo.   There is a PP slide show somewhere.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    @RRP.. Damn broski, gonna argue about everything this weekend?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    henapple said:
    @RRP.. Damn broski, gonna argue about everything this weekend?
    Argue? Note the LOL? Besides WeberWho and I know each other from another forum...we're cool!

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Line the  screw up with the center of the handle. Keeps the lid on the wheel from sliding when lid is raised.
    Hendersonville, TN.
    ·