Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare or Baby Back??

What's your vote & WHY? Gonna do some ribs on Labor Day & trying to decide.  Never done spare ribs, so leaning that way.  Open to tips, tricks, suggestions!  
PS - This UGA-Clemson game is awesome!
My daughter named my Egg Shrek, because it is big, green, and burps.  
LBGE in Arlington, VA
God Bless America!

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited September 2013
    We like STL spares. We like fattier cuts of meat (ribeyes, etc). It's all up to you though...

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• I like St Louis Spares as well.  More meat for the money.  

If you you can't find them cut St Louis style.  It's easy to do.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited September 2013
    I'll go against the grain. I prefer the leaner baby backs personally as does the family. To me when cooked properly (which is a breeze on the Egg) I think they are just as flavorful and tender as the fattier cuts. I will say also that I always prefer the leaner cuts of other meats also, i.e., filets and sirloin versus ribeye, etc., kind of opposite of what Chris Wang prefers.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited September 2013
    I prefer the Baby Backs, I think they are more meaty and Ribeyes for steaks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    I like the ST. Louis. For me they seem to be more meaty and less fat.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Get some spares and watch a video on how to trim them. Save the trimmings and toss them in a crock pot Tuesday morning and serve with some egg noodles.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Spares, mostly for reasons of economy, particularly if the trimming is do-it-yourself.

The only major difference between the 2 in terms of cooking is that at the same temperature, spares take about 125% of the time as BBs.

To me, BBs taste a bit like chops, while spares taste a bit like bacon. Both good, but bacon is more of a party in the mouth as far as I'm concerned.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2013
    I like both, but my family prefers baby backs.  I asked my wife why and she said it was because with baby backs it is just meat and bone.  With spares, there is other stuff you have to "eat around".  I think this is true- there is more cartilage in the spares.  I purchased them pre-trimmed St Louis style so maybe they didn't trim them enough. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    edited September 2013
    I'm in the spares (St. Louis trimmed) camp due to the flavor and the bonus from the trimmings.   Great as cook's treats or toss into a pot of beans or general munching.      
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I'm pretty impartial, but we get very large baby packs. If I can find great racks at a better price on either - I cook those. Babies vs St. Louis in my area can vary by $2/lb and it isn't always babies are cheaper.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    We like leaner meat, too, so I always do baby backs. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Do some of each...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I like both and don't see how you can go wrong with either.  I had never cooked St. Louis trimmed until recently and found them to be delicious.  BBs were my go to ribs before that but now I'm hooked on both.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • Shrek
    Shrek Posts: 67
    henapple said:
    Do some of each...
    Was thinking about this but I have a Medium & no grid contraption.  I guess go 225 and pull BBs earlier?  

Thanks to everyone else for the comments.  Getchya Labor Day on!  
    My daughter named my Egg Shrek, because it is big, green, and burps.  
    LBGE in Arlington, VA
    God Bless America!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Rib rack?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Get some spares and watch a video on how to trim them. Save the trimmings and toss them in a crock pot Tuesday morning and serve with some egg noodles.
    Crockpot with sauerkraut. 5:30 was too early this morning.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'm with the impartial/loin back crowd. I like both but SWMBO prefers loin back and me hitting cartilage on a spare initiates the gag reflex. So I typically get loin back unless I find a really good deal on spareribs. At Costco they are only about a $0.10 difference in price.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I am a confirmed St Louis SR egger.  Just love them!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon