Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What do u use for a drip pan?

I usually just use a aluminum pan for the ease of clean up. However no matter which size shape I use it never fully covers the piece of meat. Some one should design a pan that is in the shape of the PS or a little bigger so as to catch all the drippings but not totally obstruct the air/smoke flow!
·

Comments

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,578
    edited September 2013
    I usually just use a big piece of foil and shape it to do just that.  I also buy the 1/2 steam pans from costco and if i am cooking mulitple butts i will cram two in th  plat setter. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • I bought a couple of SS drip pans from Ceramic Grill that fit the diameter of the Egg perfectly. Not cheap but work well
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,578
    Like so:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,219

I found a 16" cake pan 2"high. it is perfect for my large. I also get the disposable pans , like the above post from work.

Ill try to remember to take a pic today prior to cooking.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Motley Brew.

·
  • I usually just wrap my plate setter in foil.  I've never had any problems like that.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
    ·
  • Aluminum foil,works for me...any size and any shape
    ·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 848
    I use a 15-inch cake pan, 2 inches high, covered in foil. The rare times I use liquid , I use a heavy foil pan, but I got tired of spending money on the foil pans for everyday cooks.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • bweekesbweekes Posts: 411
    There are lots of low-cost options out there, and ever more higher cost ones. I use the SS drip pan from the Ceramic Grill Store. I paired this with their round stone as a replacement to the BGE platesetter. The drip pan is exactly the same size as their stone so there is no impact on airflow. For ease of cleanup, I foil the drip pan. It's been a few years with this setup, and I've never gone back to the traditional platesetter/foil pan combo. 

Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, KJ Jr., La Caja China #2)
    ·
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 5,448
    edited September 2013
    SS pan from CGS which I cover with foil. I have an XL with an AR.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • Either foil or the aluminum throw-a-ways.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,429
    I use a pan and put a small piece of hdaf, shiny side down under the exposed part.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • I use the foil pans or a deep dish pizza pan, depending on the amount of meat on the grid, that I got at the local restaurant supply store and line it with HD Alum foil for a throw away clean up.  The pan is the same size as my plate setter for the XL.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
    ·
  • Cooking a pizza at 650 degrees cleans the plate setter right up.
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,347
    I have an old broiler pan that came with an oven.  It's pretty shallow.  I cover it with foil.  I raise it off the stone / platesetter using 3 small bolts to create an air gap and reduce burning.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • Kinda stupid but I would think BGE would make mini med large and xl circular foil pans. I would buy them, just because it would be that much easier.
    ·
  • SS pan from CGS which I cover with foil. I have an XL with an AR.
    Same here. Solved all of my drip pan issues for good.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
    ·
  • SMITTYtheSMOKERSMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,360
    edited September 2013

For our Large Eggs, when we need to maximize the "protected" area for larger cooks...ie multiple butts, large briskets and big loads of ribs, we use a disposable turkey roaster with blunt ends.  As many know we always cook indirect with liquid in the drip pans so this also allows a decent amount of capacity to not burn out in a single cook.  Here are a couple of pics from the showroom here today with said drip pan.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·