Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Vaccuum sealers

Looking into picking one of these up.

Costco has the Foodsaver V3820.  http://www.costco.ca/FoodSaver%c2%ae-Vacuum-Sealing-System.product.10354103.html. I can pick ut up in the store for cheaper.

Anyone have any real life good or bad with these?

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    We have one that lays flat on the counter. Not vertical. But it works great and use it all the time. Just wish there were some "boil in the bag" rolls. Haven't found any yet.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    hondabbq said:

Looking into picking one of these up.

Costco has the Foodsaver V3820.  http://www.costco.ca/FoodSaver%c2%ae-Vacuum-Sealing-System.product.10354103.html. I can pick ut up in the store for cheaper.

Anyone have any real life good or bad with these?

I have that model. I'm pleased with it. It's great for left overs.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • My brother in Kingston, On, just picked one up. He is still on an "I want to vac-pak everything honeymoon". Our American cousins get the 3880 for the same price - gotta love Canadian pricing. 

I have the 3840, three years old and works very well. I think the basic heat and seal elements are the same throughout the 3800 series. 
    The duty cycle is such you cannot fill five or six bags and then try and seal them quickly one after the other. The machine will get too hot and shut itself down. As long as you make a bag, fill a bag and then seal a bag, it seems to work for hours. 
    The moisture sensing and easy clean tray is great for sealing things like sauced pulled pork. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hotch said:
    We have one that lays flat on the counter. Not vertical. But it works great and use it all the time. Just wish there were some "boil in the bag" rolls. Haven't found any yet.
    @Hotch - we reheat in the food saver bags - not boiling mind you, but definitely hot. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hotch
    When you say reheat, how are you doing this?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Around 160 or 170?
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I know people say not to boil FoodSaver bags, but I bag chili, ham & bean, and cheese/veggie soups all the time and freeze them. I then thaw and plop the bag in a pot of water on the stove and bring it to boiling. Been doing this for years and never had a problem nor after taste.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Frozen pulled pork, just plop the bag in a pot of water that is almost, not quite, at a boil.  Maintain like that for about 20 minutes, and enjoy !
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • I raise poultry for eggs and meat.  Once a year I vacuum-suck (our term) about 30 - 6 to 7 lb chickens for the year.  We have worn out one of these, http://www.westonsupply.com/Weston-Vacuum-Sealers-p/pro%20vacuum%20sealers.htm  and we're working on our second.  Ours are branded Cabela's who apparently no longer carry this model.  We use ours for everything that needs to be kept in the freezer.