Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spare or Baby Back??

What's your vote & WHY? Gonna do some ribs on Labor Day & trying to decide.  Never done spare ribs, so leaning that way.  Open to tips, tricks, suggestions!  
PS - This UGA-Clemson game is awesome!
·

Comments

• Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    edited September 2013
    We like STL spares. We like fattier cuts of meat (ribeyes, etc). It's all up to you though...

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

·
  • I like St Louis Spares as well.  More meat for the money.  

If you you can't find them cut St Louis style.  It's easy to do.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
    ·
  • KennyLeeKennyLee Posts: 683
    edited September 2013
    I'll go against the grain. I prefer the leaner baby backs personally as does the family. To me when cooked properly (which is a breeze on the Egg) I think they are just as flavorful and tender as the fattier cuts. I will say also that I always prefer the leaner cuts of other meats also, i.e., filets and sirloin versus ribeye, etc., kind of opposite of what Chris Wang prefers.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,625
    edited September 2013
    I prefer the Baby Backs, I think they are more meaty and Ribeyes for steaks.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • HotchHotch Posts: 1,367
    I like the ST. Louis. For me they seem to be more meaty and less fat.

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans

·
  • Get some spares and watch a video on how to trim them. Save the trimmings and toss them in a crock pot Tuesday morning and serve with some egg noodles.
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,521
    Spares, mostly for reasons of economy, particularly if the trimming is do-it-yourself.

The only major difference between the 2 in terms of cooking is that at the same temperature, spares take about 125% of the time as BBs.

To me, BBs taste a bit like chops, while spares taste a bit like bacon. Both good, but bacon is more of a party in the mouth as far as I'm concerned.

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,584
    edited September 2013
    I like both, but my family prefers baby backs.  I asked my wife why and she said it was because with baby backs it is just meat and bone.  With spares, there is other stuff you have to "eat around".  I think this is true- there is more cartilage in the spares.  I purchased them pre-trimmed St Louis style so maybe they didn't trim them enough. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,488
    edited September 2013
    I'm in the spares (St. Louis trimmed) camp due to the flavor and the bonus from the trimmings.   Great as cook's treats or toss into a pot of beans or general munching.      
    Louisville
    ·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 566
    I'm pretty impartial, but we get very large baby packs. If I can find great racks at a better price on either - I cook those. Babies vs St. Louis in my area can vary by $2/lb and it isn't always babies are cheaper.
    ·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 848
    We like leaner meat, too, so I always do baby backs. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,431
    Do some of each...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • I like both and don't see how you can go wrong with either.  I had never cooked St. Louis trimmed until recently and found them to be delicious.  BBs were my go to ribs before that but now I'm hooked on both.
    Fayetteville, Ga
    ·
  • ShrekShrek Posts: 52
    henapple said:
    Do some of each...
    Was thinking about this but I have a Medium & no grid contraption.  I guess go 225 and pull BBs earlier?  

Thanks to everyone else for the comments.  Getchya Labor Day on!  
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,431
    Rib rack?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Get some spares and watch a video on how to trim them. Save the trimmings and toss them in a crock pot Tuesday morning and serve with some egg noodles.
    Crockpot with sauerkraut. 5:30 was too early this morning.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,298
    I'm with the impartial/loin back crowd. I like both but SWMBO prefers loin back and me hitting cartilage on a spare initiates the gag reflex. So I typically get loin back unless I find a really good deal on spareribs. At Costco they are only about a $0.10 difference in price.
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,623
    I am a confirmed St Louis SR egger.  Just love them!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·