Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

42# Piggy On XLBGE, Pics as I go.

2»

Comments

• rholtrholt Posts: 368
    While I applaud your culinary exploits with the whole hog I gotta say that cooked whole animals gross me out. Give me various cuts of meat and I will go to town...but when I see the skin and face a get a cold chill. But keep on doing your thing man.
    ·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 551
    How's it look?
    ·
  • how big (weight) was that pig and what size egg are you using?

42# on an XL
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,353
    Fantastic cook.  Looks great - a job well done!
  • TMayTMay Posts: 82

Looks good, That's kinda neat how you cut out the spine and got him all rolled onto himself....  On the last BBQ Pitmasters they talked about over and under cooking parts of the pig, did you have any trouble getting it all done without drying it out?

Rowlett, Texas
    ·
  • I only let the ham get to 198f for fear that the loins might over cook. The entire cook came out moist and tender. And I think insulating the shoulders and ribs with the hams helped that.
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,823
    Bet that skin was fantastic!  Thanks for the play-by-play.

And I want an injector like that, just to hang in my kitchen.  
    :-bd

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,179
    Fan-farkin-tastic!! That folded over pig looks fabulous. Bravo!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • All credit can go to BGE, Amazingribs.com, and this forum. Oh and Dan, who sold and set up my egg, Thanks!
    ·
  • Looks great, congrats. How did you carve that baby? Did you chop and mix it all together or maybe take slices from different parts as you went? This was great to watch, thanks for sharing with us.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • if your league ever has an opening, please let me know. LOL

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • mb99zzmb99zz Posts: 182
    Looks good, mate! 
    ·
  • That is a cool cook dude. But that thing looks too messed up for me and Im a Chef.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Sledder, Quadder, Rock and Roller, Big Green Egg Smoker.

·
  • @Black Badger first I pulled from different areas to let everyone taste the difference in texture of the different cuts, i.e. loin, ham, shoulder. By the end it all was pulled and mixed.
    ·
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 893
    edited September 2013
    That is very cool, sure looks and sounds like fun. Thanks.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • I'll tell you what, it was a lot of fun to be so involved in a process like it. On the side I held a BBQ sauce comp to make it fun for the members of the league. Only had 3 sauces show up and all three were awesome to pair with the pork.
    ·
  • Did they let you have AP & Brees for the effort?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,741
    awesome.
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,238
    edited September 2013
    =D> =D>looks great.  Hats off to you! Bet the cheeks were awesome.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • portaporta Posts: 88
    Very nice cook! Although, I don't think I'll ever get permission to cook that. haha. Any post carving pics?
    68% of statistics are made up on the spot.
    ·
  • @Hokie_Smoker  Brees and C.J. Spiller, can't complain, lol
    ·
  • @Porta I wish I did, was so involved that only the bones were left when I had realized I hadn't taken any. But to recap I unrolled him on his back and served different cuts as requested but eventually it was all pulled and mixed.
    ·
  • Big RaguBig Ragu Posts: 141
    Suckling has to be one of the ultimate novelty cooks for any Egger. For starts I wouldn't know where to find one of these. I am going to get around to this cook one day.
    ·
  • @Big_Ragu I called my local butcher and they ordered it up for me.  All they asked was to give them a weeks notice.  Was really fun to do.  Learned a lot about the egg on this one.  I think I will do it again.
    ·