Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone In Shoulder...Inject?

Options

Picked up a nice fresh 10lb bone in from Hirsh's Meats on the ride home Friday for our End of Summer Swim Party on Sunday afternoon. I have smoked dozens of butts but never injected. Saw the post awhile back on this and thought, my view is one sided. So to spread out a little, injection here we come!

Not ever doing one I poked around and stumbled on to "Chris Lilly's Six-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder Injection and Rub". Now how could I go wrong with this one.

So this journey has begun........

While I was trimming, SWMBO whipped up both the rub and the injection.

I will put it on around 10:30 tonight on the LBGE at 230 on the Stoker. More pics to follow..

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    I have done several and always inject with the above mentioned recipe. Haven't tried non injected but everyone raves about the pork every time so something must be working.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Here we go. I believe this will be great! As we do not have a plan B.

I have never used this much sugar in any rub. Going to keep this low and slow at 225.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Hotch, what kind of grid is that?

My eyes may deceive me but that appears more substantial than the stock grid.
  • Hotch
    Options
    Yes, that be one of the HiQ's. It is pricy but I think it will out last me.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options

At 10 hours in, a peek while I spray it with apple juice. I must admit, I thought it would be a bit darker with all that sugar in the rub.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options

Well after a long day and party I thought I might post the results.

Served it dry, no sauce unless they wanted to add some.

Everyone was surprised at the taste and rich flavor of the pulled pork.

So, at least for a while, injection may be in my future cooks.

imageimageimage
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Looks nice. Seems like you trimmed away a LOT of fat. Was it dry at all? 

I usually don't inject; did once but it was my first or second cook. Seemed to be more effort than its worth. Not bad, just messy and time consuming.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Great work Hotch! I have mad quite a few shoulders and the last 3x I have injected with Chris Lily's recipe. I really believe it takes it up a notch. Sounds like you found the same. My brother-in-law made on yesterday without injecting and it became quite clear to me how much of a difference this makes. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Hotch
    Options

Apologize for the triple on the pictures, it was a late night.

Learned the trick on removing the fat cap in one piece. A lot less work and a much better piece of meat when done.

No it was not dry at all.  But then it did not last long.

I do believe we can now start a new journey to flavor town. It will be fun to mix match the rubs with the injections.

Next time I think I will do a true chopped pork, the real fine chop.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • BigTex33
    Options
    I combine the injection with a brown sugar based rub. My injection is a little over 1 cup of Apple juice, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 Lawry's Season Salt. Heat up the apple juice and add the sugar and salt. The flavor inside the pork butt is incredible.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

@BigTex33, just a clarification.  In your directions for the injection, do you mean 1/2 cup of Lawry's Season Salt?

Just want to be sure.

TIA  

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • BigTex33
    Options
    Yes, 1/2 cup Lawry's...
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Cool, thanks.

:-h

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Hotch
    Options
    We had a little left over so I took RRP's advice and used a can of Coke when we warmed it up on the third day. Wife said it was spectacular! You should give it a shot next time you have leftovers.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Hotch said:...

Next time I think I will do a true chopped pork, the real fine chop.

Let me know what you think when you do that.  I always "pull" like your picture shows.  My friends and family seem to prefer a "rough" pull with chunks.  

Long Island, NY
  • BBQJDUB
    Options
    Thanks for this post.  I'm going to give bone in injection a try.  A little disappointed that no Dizzy dealers have Dizzy Dust in at the moment but I guess that means people are buying it.  Last minute decision to have shoulder and I wasn't prepared with the rub.  I'll let you guys know how it goes!

BBQJDUB

Charlotte, NC
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @BBQJDUB - sounds like the perfect time to make your own rub. Our house favorite is Meathead's Memphis Dust on shoulder. It goes nicely with Chris Lilly's injection. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Hotch
    Options
    BBQJDUB said:
    Thanks for this post.  I'm going to give bone in injection a try.  A little disappointed that no Dizzy dealers have Dizzy Dust in at the moment but I guess that means people are buying it.  Last minute decision to have shoulder and I wasn't prepared with the rub.  I'll let you guys know how it goes!

@BBQJDUB Google for Chris Lilly's injection and his rub. You will be glad you put them together.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX