Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

My First Date With Juicy Lucy - Fail.

We've never done Juicy Lucys before.  I bought a gadget to make them and thought a blind date tonight with Juicy Lucy would be fun.  The gadget's directions says to fill it with 1/2 Lb of ground beef before it makes a cavity for the cheese and cover it with a 1/4 Lb patty.  Those things are ginormous!  We filled the cavity with Colby jack cheese.  I made six full sized ones and a smaller one for my kindergartener.  I should have made them all smaller.  Here some pix: 

Cooking here raised direct at about 380 - 400.

I pulled them off here too late IT 145.  Five minutes before, the Thermapen said 120. 

OK.  Here's the embarrassing shot.  A Juicy Lucy with no juice.  The Colby Jack pleasantly burning in the lump.  Oh the humanity!

OUCH!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  If the lead bullets don't kill you, the leaded water will.

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 12,076
    Probably because you spelled them wrong.

The Matt's bar gods are angry with you.
  • Wow - them are huge. Took me a couple of times to get it to work. 
    I've found, thanks to Doc, make them smaller and I use a shredded cheese, usually cheddar. For the patties, 2/3 rds on the bottom slightly made like a bowl, 1/3 rd for the top cap, makes it easier to seal. Total meat weight is around 1/3lb for each finished patty. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 17,922
    edited September 2013
    http://www.finecooking.com/articles/how-to-melt-cheese.aspx?pg=0

Look at the different cheese categories - pick cheese that doesn't turn into a liquid when you heat it.

• Juicy Lucy does sound like a date who might suck or blow from time to time.
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

In Durham, NC, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
  • http://www.finecooking.com/articles/how-to-melt-cheese.aspx?pg=0

Look at the different cheese categories - pick cheese that doesn't turn into a liquid when you heat it.

Nola - Wilma asked me about the cheese while at the store and I knew we had Colby Jack at home so I said "Nah, it'll work."  I hate it when that happens!  Great article!

........................................................................................

• Juicy Lucy does sound like a date who might suck or blow from time to time.

Well, I struck out with her!

• We usually use Pepper Jack. I have a similar device, it does make huge burgers.
  • We usually use Pepper Jack. I have a similar device, it does make huge burgers.

I'm not happy with the size of the end product so I'm getting rid of that gizmo. Pepper Jack sounds delicious!

• henapplehenapple Posts: 15,170
    I threw mine away. I press 2 thin patties and stuff with sautéed onion, shrooms and feta. Pinch the edges.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:

I threw mine away. I press 2 thin patties and stuff with sautéed onion, shrooms and feta. Pinch the edges.

I was thinking feta for the next date with Lucy because it won't run out. I'll be happy if I make it to second base!

• jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,948
    henapple said:

Good on that.  Hand-made thin patties are the way to go.  I just stuff with cheddar and onion and pinch shut.  Yum! 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • It's because you used Colby jack.  An original Jucy Lucy will only contain highly processed American cheese!

Jen

Lakeville, MN