Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak Report

Was at Walmart today and bought a bag of Royal Oak Charcoal (in red bag). $6.60 buys you 8.8 lb. (That equates to $15 for 20 lb... compare that to $32 for 20 lb. of BGE charcoal.... just about half price.) 

The heat was fine, the taste was fine... and the fire started just as quickly as BGE. The only difference is that there were many more sparks than I've ever seen with BGE. I actually had to close the screen on the bottom vent. I usually leave that open as I have a concrete deck. I also think the pieces were a bit smaller than the BGE... but this was the top of the bag... we'll see how it is graded when it get down into it. I get a lot of small pieces in BGE of late too.

I can put up with the sparks when you consider the huge price differential. I wonder if Walmart will carry it in the winter. 

Comments

• It depends on where you are.  Here in Michigan, Walmart stops stocking lump after Labor Day.  At least mine does.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Here in PA Wegmans has already stopped stocking lump (RO) rebranded. Good thing I have 240 pounds in the shed of Wegmans, WGWW and ForrestLump.
    Flint, Michigan
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    psssst...iffin you haven't already heard RO makes BGE lump! It is all about marketing hype...one bag does not make a big test, but thanks!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • acegg77
    acegg77 Posts: 120
    edited September 2013
    RRP said:
    psssst...iffin you haven't already heard RO makes BGE lump! It is all about marketing hype...one bag does not make a big test, but thanks!
    No need to be snotty about it.

As for the hypothesis that BGE fuel is made by RO, I have heard it said, but I've never seen verification of it anywhere. (Of course if it's on the internet it MUST be true!)

And while it is true that one bag, one cook, actually, does not make a definitive test, it does provide enough information for anecdotal reporting.

• I don't think RRP was being snotty.  If I was on my 53rd post, I might stop and pay attention to someone who has almost 11,000 posts.  I'm sure that he might know something.

Unlike me.  My 2,700 posts are mostly smarta$$ commentary.

Flint, Michigan
  • acegg77
    edited September 2013
    I don't know RRP or any of his posts. I'm sure I could learn something (perhaps a lot) from him. I think he could learn one thing from me:

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Acegg77... chill out... it's just a forum and Egg Talk...
    If you get your feeling hurt that easy, I'd suggest you not post

Kent Madison MS
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Excuse me guys... I did not mean to offend. Sorry and good night.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I would respect anyone with close to 11,000 posts. He has probably forgotten more grilling stuff then I will ever know. In addition, he is a great resource of Rutland gasgets. Getting back to your original post, yes, bge lump = ro lump, so you should not see much of a difference. If you have a Resturant Depot in your area, you can pick up 17.6 lbs of RO for $8.99.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • acegg77
    BBQMaven said:
    Acegg77... chill out... it's just a forum and Egg Talk...
    If you get your feeling hurt that easy, I'd suggest you not post

I think you are right. This was the first time I posted anything other than a question. I thought I was being helpful. Obviously I was just being foolish.

I dare say I won't make another information post here again for a long time.

Thank you for the use of the hall.

• I'm not shedding a tear my man.  You hit me with a troll flag and then start beefing about RRP.  It sounds like you're overdue for a diaper change.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    edited September 2013
    A troll flag? GASP...he got you good lol I sure hope you recover
    Southern Indiana
  • acegg77
    edited September 2013

I'm not shedding a tear my man.  You hit me with a troll flag and then start beefing about RRP.  It sounds like you're overdue for a diaper change.
    Oh dear. You are right. I thought the flag was ABOVE the post. I meant to mark RRP's post as the troll. My sincere apologies. 
  • acegg77
    I got a nice private note from RRP who apologized. That showed class. It's all over now. Move along, nothing to see here.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    @acegg77, do you have your panties out of the twist now?
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Everyone needs to chill their tits...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I hope this helps: At the bottom of BGE bags it says something to the effect "Manufactured exclusively for BGE by Royal Oak"

• acegg77
    No such labeling on the bag of BGE I bought last week.
  • acegg77 said:
    No such labeling on the bag of BGE I bought last week.

Eggcelsior is always trying to fool people with his mad photoshop skillz.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • henapple
    Chevrolet makes a Corvette and made a Chevette.. Same company, different quality. I've used both and can tell a difference.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    henapple said:
    Chevrolet makes a Corvette and made a Chevette.. Same company, different quality. I've used both and can tell a difference.

Are you referring to the Lump in question or the cars?

• I had used the Wal-Mart RO charcoal but then I found stuff that looked like(was) fiberglass insulation in 2 separate bags. I don't think crap like that should be anywhere near a bagging facility, so I stopped using it and went on to find WGWW locally.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    NoDak1959 said:

I had used the Wal-Mart RO charcoal but then I found stuff that looked like(was) fiberglass insulation in 2 separate bags. I don't think crap like that should be anywhere near a bagging facility, so I stopped using it and went on to find WGWW locally.

I have found rocks, nails, etc in all charcoal I have ever used, including WGWW. outta not like they run the lump through a magnet after it goes through the fire.
  • henapple
    hondabbq said:

henapple said:

Are you referring to the Lump in question or the cars?

Both
  • I bought Royal oak at wakmart I paid $9.99 for  17.6 lb bag I think that Royal oak is just fine for the money you just can't beat it 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • It happens......you could quadruple the cost of a bag of charcoal if we had to verify every chunk of charcoal wasn't a char dust covered rock.

From our FAQ's:

Why did I find something in my bag that isn’t charcoal?

Sorry about that! We strive to remove all foreign matter during the bagging process, but sometimes pieces sneak by.

Why? Well, a lot can happen to a tree in its lifetime. People sometimes nail items to them, shoot at them, or run fencing around them. And because trees are constantly growing, objects lodged in trees can easily become encased, creating “knots.” Knots are undesirable in the lumber industry, so they’re often made into charcoal. Objects often remain grafted inside the charcoal chunks, which is why they’re only found once the charcoal becomes ash.

If you’ve found an object in your charcoal, please tell us! Some customers have found arrowheads, coins, and other fun “prizes.” If it’s anything of value, we’ll gladly take it off of your hands!

• Gee, when they write it like that, it almost makes finding fiberglass sound like a cool adventure! /sarcasm
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • According to Nakid Whiz web site, BGE states on the bag it is made by RO. Also under Royal Oak he states RO also makes other brands including BGE. Again according to Nakid Whiz, there are three Royal Oaks - Argentine, Brazilian and unspecified.
    The information may by out of date or incorrect, but it is from a usually reliable source.
    Publix Greenwise, also rumored to be RO, is $5.99 for 8.8 pounds everyday.
    Cooking on the coast
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Gee, when they write it like that, it almost makes finding fiberglass sound like a cool adventure! /sarcasm
    Yeah, that or concrete is another story.  :)