Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Medium Molded Egg

I've had a large egg for a while and am used to cleaning it out with a hot burn (900°+) and it always takes care of whatever grows inside.

My neighbor just picked up a slightly used medium that was covered in yellow and white funk inside. I'm talking 1/2"-1" thick in places. I said "No Problem!" grabbed a bag of Royal Oak and lit that puppy up with no cap on top and the bottom vent open. We had a hard time getting it up over 500°, so I hooked up a fan to stoke the fire. It helped a little, but still could not get temp up as high as I wanted.

Came back over today and the main growth was gone, but the insides were still stained with the mold patterns. I pulled the fire ring and did a complete clean out and started from scratch. Went through the other half of the bag of RO and was able to get temps up around 700°-750° with the fan but without the fan it would not stay much above 500°.

I can not imagine the mold being much of an issue after this last burn, but you can still see where it was. I was also somewhat concerned  that I would not get the temp over about 500° without stoking the fire. My large will hit 700°+ easy.

Any tips on getting the rest of the mold out?

Do these mediums not normally get as hot as a large?

We are both excited about his new toy and really wanted to use it this weekend, but want to make sure it's going to be safe.


Sign In or Register to comment.