Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Smoked Turkey Legs - Suggestions?

I've got 8 monster turkey legs that I plan on smoking tomorrow for the LSU vs TCU game.  My plan is to make a brine in the morning consisting of water, sugar, salt, onion and garlic powder, and maybe some pepper.  Plan on brining for about 4-6 hours.  Then I'll put a rub on the legs and get them on the egg at about 250 indirect (probably have to use adjustable rig) for about 4 hours until internal is 165.  Let me know if I have any holes in my plan or if you have any better suggestions.
·

Comments

• Letz4wheelLetz4wheel Posts: 235
    I haven't a clue but I am waiting to see how it turns out
    Southern Indiana
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,550
    Sounds like a good plan to me!  I have only done them once and I didn't brine them.  My mental note was "next time try brining them".  Turkey legs have a lot of sinewy cartilage in them and I think the brine will help soften some of that. 

Only other thing is I have heard go to 180.  They will be safe at 165, but just for texture you may want to go a little higher.  Good luck! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,418
    edited August 2013
    Do them all the time at 400 direct and raised. Cook to 175/180 and enjoy. I never brine (only breasts if just doinf beasts and not spatchcocked turkey). Very light oil and I like Butt Rub or Coffee Rub. Also good at sauce the last 10 min for a change. image Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • kbutler84kbutler84 Posts: 106
    Thanks, this is what I was looking for!
    ·
  • flachickflachick Posts: 25
    We smoked 4 turkey drumsticks this morning. Brined, rubbed with molasses bourbon rub, 250-ish indirect. They were done in 2 hours (175). This was annoying because I had planned for a minimum 3 hour cook and hadn't started any of the sides. My advice, watch the meat temp then enjoy. It was a really delicious meal.
    ·
    Kind of need a quick answer for this. Should I wrap in foil with a little apple juice for the final hour?
    ·
    edited September 2013
    Very tasty!

Edit: Not sure why pictures are upsideways.
    image.jpg 1.9M
    image.jpg 1.2M
    ·