Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Smoked Turkey Legs - Suggestions?

I've got 8 monster turkey legs that I plan on smoking tomorrow for the LSU vs TCU game.  My plan is to make a brine in the morning consisting of water, sugar, salt, onion and garlic powder, and maybe some pepper.  Plan on brining for about 4-6 hours.  Then I'll put a rub on the legs and get them on the egg at about 250 indirect (probably have to use adjustable rig) for about 4 hours until internal is 165.  Let me know if I have any holes in my plan or if you have any better suggestions.
·

Comments

• Letz4wheelLetz4wheel Posts: 235
    I haven't a clue but I am waiting to see how it turns out
    Southern Indiana
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,856
    Sounds like a good plan to me!  I have only done them once and I didn't brine them.  My mental note was "next time try brining them".  Turkey legs have a lot of sinewy cartilage in them and I think the brine will help soften some of that. 

Only other thing is I have heard go to 180.  They will be safe at 165, but just for texture you may want to go a little higher.  Good luck! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,047
    edited August 2013
    Do them all the time at 400 direct and raised. Cook to 175/180 and enjoy. I never brine (only breasts if just doinf beasts and not spatchcocked turkey). Very light oil and I like Butt Rub or Coffee Rub. Also good at sauce the last 10 min for a change. image Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Thanks, this is what I was looking for!
    ·
  • flachickflachick Posts: 25
    We smoked 4 turkey drumsticks this morning. Brined, rubbed with molasses bourbon rub, 250-ish indirect. They were done in 2 hours (175). This was annoying because I had planned for a minimum 3 hour cook and hadn't started any of the sides. My advice, watch the meat temp then enjoy. It was a really delicious meal.
    ·
  • Kind of need a quick answer for this. Should I wrap in foil with a little apple juice for the final hour?
    ·
  • kbutler84kbutler84 Posts: 99
    edited September 2013
    Very tasty!

Edit: Not sure why pictures are upsideways.
    image.jpg 1.9M
    image.jpg 1.2M
    ·