Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

egg carrier

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,671
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ad610344.jpg
<p />made a new egg carrier last week to bring the large fishing. easy to tie down and if flipped over it works as a stand. very easy for two people to carry it around.this is what i call roughing it, prime rib for dinner with prime rib sandwhiches for lunch. next project will be a swing bracket to mount on the back bumper so that i can easily swing it to the side while hot and sit on the tailgate. has anyone cooked on the egg while traveling, i know of a fishing spot about 6 hours away, just the right amount of time to cook ribs.
e4e1370c.jpg
9d0ce2e6.jpg
d81559e3.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    fishlessman,[p]Great pictures! I was wondering the same things. A trailer hitch receiver with a BGE dropin attachment with swingarm. Also wonder how having the rushing air around the egg would affect airflow in you tried to cook and drive.
  • fishlessman
    JNK,
    ive cooked during northeasters with some mean gusty winds and i kinda think a steady wind from highway driving might be easier to cook in, something to try.

fukahwee maine

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Mornin' fishlessman,
    Very nicely done.
    How is the stability when using it as a stand with the egg on top?
    Cheers,
    bruce

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    JNK, friends don't let friends cook and drive. LOL

• SeanB
    SeanB Posts: 20
    fishlessman,[p]The problem I can see with driving and cooking would be that the ash may get stired up a bit too much. If you had the food wrapped in foil it wouldn't be a problem. [p]Then all you would have to worry about is stray embers...[p]BTW...the carrier looks great.
  • fishlessman
    badbruce,
    with the wide carry handles down it has great stability. i do want to add a ring around the bottom to prevent it from sliding off the plate, but it doesnt really seem to move when you push on it. for camping it could really be left alone in the carrier without flipping the stand over.

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman,
    Good idea. I'm sure you will think of more ideas as you start to use it.[p]Spring "Good Idea Gone Bad" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• fishlessman,
    Nice stand.
    My suggestion would be to build another stand almost like the first, except make the smaller ring a litte bigger. Then you could turn that upside down and set the first stand and egg into the second stand. You also might be able to build the second stand so it would fit on top of the current stand when travelling. It would then put your egg into a protective cage.[p]Smoke 'n Things

• fishlessman
    Smoke 'n Things,
    that is a good idea, it is a little bit of a pain to remove the egg from the carrier, and if i made the extra carrier frame to fit my tow reciever, it would be much easier to set up on and off the truck. origionally i was going to use the small for this, but i find i need the large on trips. this carrier is making it easier.

fukahwee maine

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    fishlessman,
    great idea...
    i wonder what the state policeman might think as he's driving behind you and you have a nice stream of smoke coming out![p]or the peeps at the Hookset Toll booth!
    hahahaha

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    stike,
    a little while back i had to pull over for the nearest tree. when i was done i turn around and theres a statey waiting for me. he says how much you have to drink. i tell him i had 4, and the empties are in the truck to prove it. he looks in the truck and there they are, 4 large dunkin donut cups. i thought he would understand, but he didnt even smile. i wonder what the laws are for smoking and driving if i made a spark arrestor type setup.

fukahwee maine

• stike
    fishlessman,
    it's gettin so a guy can't even urinate in public anymore....
    tsk tsk[p]
    good point about the spark arrestor.
    i was just thinking about smoke, and the visual alarm it might raise, but your point is pretty good if you are travelling thru the white mountains during high-risk fire season, and the thing is emitting sparks....[p]ooops[p]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    fishlessman,
    eggselent carrier and pixs too. Say, if I were you when I designed that swingout arm why not make it a gimbal so there's no need to worry about the terrain issues. That would also help if you in fact decide to cook while in transit. The other thought I had was the use of a wireless so you could monitor meat and dome from the truck cab while you booggie down the boulevard!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    RRP,
    either remote, or remount the dome backwards. i think the lower vent would need to face towards the rear and if the dome gage was facing the front i could read it steering wheel fashion in the rear veiw. would definately need to tie the dome down, wouldnt want the egg to open at 70 mph :)

fukahwee maine

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    fishlessman,
    A person with suitable talent could make a reasonable profit while earning the thanks of a grateful nation of Eggers if... the carrier had the second (seating) ring mentioned below, and if when inverted it brought a Mini (opened) up to something approximating 30 inches tall.[p]Ken

• we tried it and had okay success. had the BGE Large strapped on an open utility trailer headed to campus for a pre-game tailgate. pulled over twice to check temps and all was well. we already had a stable fire for hours though, at 250 degrees, with some boston butts on there. did not see any radical increase or decrease in temp during the 85 mile commute (70mph top speed). we did, as one other person mentioned have a little ash blown around in there which got on the meat. took the butts off a few hours before game time, wrapped them in foil, and cooked some ABT's and half-grilled taters, then pulled the pork and it was time to eat. if only our team had won!
  • RRP
    fishlessman,
    I don't know that much about aerodynamics but wouldn't the rush of the air around the moving BGE with the vent pointed toward the rear create a suction of air out of the egg instead of into the egg, thus reversing the air flow effect on the coals? Even the flow of air across the dome hole would encourage the air flow reversal. Make any sense? If not then contribute my idea to the fact I was an accountant, not an engineer - LOL.

• fishlessman
    RRP,
    as an engineer, i might take the trial and error approach as im not really sure. i know if i cook in a 60 mile an hour wind on the windy side of the lake i face the vent away with good results. with the egg sitting dead center behind the tailgate there may be a wind eddy pushing the air forward toward the truck. as an example, if you ride with the top down with this truck and there is a paperbag in the back bed, it will land in the cab of the truck when driving on the highway.

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    BlueSmoke,
    i make high end, technical, prototype fabrications for use in dangerous places and my insurances and certifications expenses would probably take me out of the cost equation for marketing these types of things. my profits have always been low, but my costs are high. i would love to have some smaller side lines like this, but would have to make them in large quantities and have an order ahead of time. this was done with stainless from the scraps of another job, and not figuring for materials, i would need almost 175 to fabricate the basket in labor costs just to break even. in quantity the costs would come down, but not what i think would be practical. what i need is a hobby shed away from work to build things like this. maybe when im retired

[ul][li]the family business[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    fishlessman,
    LOL - like I said I know the effect of debits and credits are reversed on assets and expenses versus liabilities and revenues but as for wind eddys I'll leave that up to knowledgeable guys like you!

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    fishlessman,
    Rats! Still, one of these puppies unveiled to the legion of Mini-lovers (say at Eggtoberfest or Waldorf) could keep a retired fella out of harm's way for quite awhile...[p]Ken

• stike
    fishlessman,
    nothing a simple mathematical model of the universe couldn't tell you.[p]

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    fishlessman,
    While you are at it you might as well make a bracket for using it on the boat. Probably need to incorporate some sort of gyro stabilization so you can cook and cruise.

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    katman,
    Not sure how well boats and fires mix. Wouldn't happen on my watch.
    Cheers, Bob

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    fishlessman,[p]Cool, nice work and a good idea. pretty cool having a sheet metal guru like yourself along side. are you getting hammered with this ROHS also?[p]Scott

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Me,[p]i always try to be nice, but if someone is rude, i'll call them on it.[p]fisherman, you really did a nice job and pretty creative, got a lot of people thinking[p]Scott