Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome temp vs grill temp

Options
How much of a difference is the dome temp vs the grill temp.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    35-50 degrees higher at the dome. It will equalize later in the cook(on low and slow).
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    edited August 2013
    Options
    And here's a bit more on temps-  most  likely with indirect ( heat deflector in place) cooks the dome thermo will run about 20-40*f higher (or more) than the grate when starting out.  Longer the dome is shut the less the temp difference.  On direct cooks, the grate will get the full measure of heat from the lump and the dome will be lower than the cooking surface.  Raised grid- gets you further from the lump and closer to the dome temp.     Whatever style of cook just make sure your dome thermo is calibrated.    Trust your indications-it's all you've got to drive the BGE.     FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Dome and grid will differ even more greatly if you do a partial fill and/or start the fire in the back (away from the thermometer).

For reasons I have never heard explained, it seems the back of an XL is hotter than the front, even with a evenly loaded fire.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• s_austin_egger
    Options
    Ive been running about 35 degrees hotter om the dome temp.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Don't know how I got a double post.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• sarivers
    sarivers Posts: 67
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I suspect it also matters how open your dome is. I saw on this web site that a lot of members do not use the cover with the daisy wheel on cooks that are not low and slow. I've stopped using mine on all cooks 300F and above. It would seem to me that if the top vent is completely open then the heat would not collect at the top and flow on out. In this situation I would guess that the grate temp is closer to the dome. This is just a guess though. I would love to hear other opinions on this.
    Columbia, SC

• Dfishel
    Dfishel Posts: 104
    Options
    Thank y'all for the help!!
  • Rare
    Rare Posts: 2
    Options
    For some reason even after 18 hours my dome and grate temp never equal out.  This is on indirect cooks.  Dome always runs 20+ degrees hotter.  I have calibrated both probes twice.  Maybe I have a defect Egg?  Wish I could pinpoint the problem.  Really driving me crazy.  Temp fluctuates slowly up and slowly down through long cooks, 14 - 24 hours.