I've had a large egg for a while and am used to cleaning it out with a hot burn (900°+) and it always takes care of whatever grows inside.
My neighbor just picked up a slightly used medium that was covered in yellow and white funk inside. I'm talking 1/2"-1" thick in places. I said "No Problem!" grabbed a bag of Royal Oak and lit that puppy up with no cap on top and the bottom vent open. We had a hard time getting it up over 500°, so I hooked up a fan to stoke the fire. It helped a little, but still could not get temp up as high as I wanted.
Came back over today and the main growth was gone, but the insides were still stained with the mold patterns. I pulled the fire ring and did a complete clean out and started from scratch. Went through the other half of the bag of RO and was able to get temps up around 700°-750° with the fan but without the fan it would not stay much above 500°.
I can not imagine the mold being much of an issue after this last burn, but you can still see where it was. I was also somewhat concerned that I would not get the temp over about 500° without stoking the fire. My large will hit 700°+ easy.
Any tips on getting the rest of the mold out?
Do these mediums not normally get as hot as a large?
We are both excited about his new toy and really wanted to use it this weekend, but want to make sure it's going to be safe.