Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Need BBQ Chicken Tips and suggestions

Thinking of throwing on some chicken thighs, legs, and wings for the family. Feeding 8-10 people. Initial thoughts are to rub the chix, let sit in frig for a few hours, then, indirect plate setter @325 - 350F with tin underneath meat filled with beer (what kind is best?). Probably take 1.5 to 2 hrs. Will use mesquite and hickory chunks - no chips. Then, for those that want BBQ, I will place them direct, brush on the sauce to finish and carmelize for about 10 mins. Done temp is 160F. Let's hear it!! :-)
Large, Medium, and Mini BGE, a few accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter and powdery snow. 
·

Comments

• RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    Done temp should be 165 in the breast meat 180 for the dark meat. Birds can have an over smoked taste if too much wood is added. IMHO you don't need the liquid for flavor. I do raised direct at 350-400 degrees until internal temp is reached. Spot on for the sauce finish.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    ·
  • GreenhawKGreenhawK Posts: 398
    Sounds like a plan.

Large BGE Decatur, AL
    ·
  • Keep em coming. So many ways to cook these.
    Large, Medium, and Mini BGE, a few accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter and powdery snow. 
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,495
    Here are some BBQ chicken sandwiches I did a few weeks ago. Really tasty.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1155671/pulled-bbq-chicken-sammiches-with-peach-salsa-and-fresh-slaw#latest

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,530

Not a big fan of mesquite for chicken, personally.

It's a bit strong smoke for poultry, much better for beef.

Hickory is very good.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,368
    Definitely agree to skip the liquid in the pan. Also agree the mesquite is a little strong. I really like cherry with yardbird.

If you can let the chick sit in the fridge uncovered (nekked); then apply the rub just before you cook. This will give you a crispy skin.

If you have a raised grid this also helps to get it crispy. I like to do chicken indirect high in the dome. I just brush the sauce on at the end and keep it indirect...but if you want to switch to direct I am sure that will be great to carmalize the sauce. Good luck!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·