Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Andouille in ABT's

Options
I'm switching up my ABT's a little today. I'm using a huge link of fresh andouille instead of little smokies. Should I boil it,or grill it, before putting it in the jalapeños?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    Options
    I'm assuming you're going to take it out of the casing and stuff the jalapenos. I certainly wouldn't boil andouille, and grilling it would make it difficult to stuff into the peppers. If you feel that you must precook it I'd just brown it and ensure it's loose (as in fairly small pieces) so it's easier to work with.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    It's a huge piece....one piece is over a pound. I figured I'd cook it, cut it into strips and stuff into jalapeños, like I do with smokies. Once inside the pepper, it won't fully cook without completely burning the bacon wrapper. So, it needs to be cooked in some way beforehand.
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Also, has anyone ever cooked ABT's with only half peppers wrapped in bacon, or does the cream cheese melt and run up that way? I've only ever done the two halves put back together to hold the cheese in. Company coming over to watch Georgia put the smack down on Clemson tonight. I figured if I cooked halves, they might last a little longer.
    Athens, GA
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    Options
    I've done them as halves. The trick is to cut them so they remain like a canoe and so they'll sit as level as possible.

Cutting it into strips is a good idea. I'd grill them for added flavor if you're doing it that way.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.