Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt brothers timing question...

Options
radamo
radamo Posts: 373
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
I have two butts I need to make for tomorrow night at 5PM (I know, they are done when they are done).  One is about 7 lbs and the other is 8.  Both boneless.  I normally go low and slow which would require me to start about 12 or 1:00 AM.  If I start at 6 AM at 250 and go low until they hit the stall then bump to 350 what time "Should" they be ready for FTC?  Would like to have them in the cooler by 4PM.  I am shying away from Turbo although it may be my only viable option here.

Any guesses on this how long they take to hit the stall if low and slow from 6 AM?  

I really don't want to start later then 11 PM nor earlier than 6 AM.  If I do them from 11 PM I am afraid they will be in the cooler by noon and then sitting for 5 hours.  Won't that be too long?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Long Island, NY

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have done a "ramp up" such as this and it worked fine.  I believe I did two 8 pound butts in around 8-9 hours.  It's hard to say the exact time it will take, but I don't think you will have a problem finishing within the 10 hours you have.  

One other option is to just cook them really low n slow, but you need a temperature controller for that or it's a lot of work.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I just FTC'd an 8 pounder and a 5 pounder (bone in). Started the Egg at 7 AM this morning, Put them on around 7:40 at 250 degrees dome.  At 1:30, they were both at 165 IT and were wrapped in foil and the Egg raised up to 350.  At 2:30 PM, smaller one was 205 IT was double wrapped and into the cooler wrapped in towels, followed 30 minutes later by the larger one,  We are going to a party at 6, and I'll pull then just before we go and keep warm in a crockpot.  Just keep in mind - every hunk of meat cooks differently.
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    This forum is really screwing up the formatting today with special characters and now it's dropping letters.  Went to edit and add the 'A's back in the words 'at' and in the post it showed them there until I saved it, then they were gone again.
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Thanks for the follow up guys. My plan is to get up at 5:30 and get them on by 6:30.  Once I have one at 165 I will bump the temp to 350 and monitor from there.
    Let you know how it goes.

Long Island, NY
  • radamo
    Options
    Had the alarm set for 5 but then woke up a little after 3 butt was on by 4.  We will see how the day progresses.  My grid temp is about 244 with a dome a bit higher right now.  Will try to keep it in that range and see what time I hit the stall. Meet is at 104 now. 
    Long Island, NY
  • radamo
    Options
    Hit the stall at 12:15... now at 164 and holding...  Grid temp is 235, dome at 255.
    Long Island, NY