Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting a 6.5# Butt... What is best temp ?

Options

I am starting an overnight Butt which is 6.5# in a medium egg with platesetter.  I was intending it to go as long as possible.

What do you think is the best temp ??

Thanks!!

-----------------
Hook'em Horns!!

2013 Medium BGE
2013 Mini BGE

Comments

• AustinEgger
    Options
    Probably should have added that I dropped her on the vrack about 2 hours ago and she's been running about 220.
    -----------------
    Hook'em Horns!!

2013 Medium BGE
    2013 Mini BGE
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    If you want it to go overnight, I'd go 225 dome.  Any higher and it will be done by morning.  You will still probably finish early, so FTC it (wrap in foil, wrap in towels, place in a cooler to keep hot) for a few hours until ready to pull. 
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Lower is better if you want to extend the cook time.  It's a compromise between extending the cook time and having a flame-out.  If you built a good fire, 225 can be very stable, but it can also go out....but that does extend the cook time....
    I put 2 7 lb butts on at 10 pm. By 11 they had settled at 240 on the grid probe and 250 dome. Up at 4 to find the grid at 262 and the dome at 300. Closed the vents a tad and back to 243 grid at 5am. Larger butt is at 178 at 5am, so I think I'm in fine shape for the Buckeyes kickoff at noon.
  • AustinEgger
    Options
    Ran butt overnight at 220 using CyberQ. Started at 10p. Ozark Oak Lump with 50/50 Apple and Hickory Chunks.

Temp ranged from 215 - 225.

It's 10a and butt temp is 167.

Smells intoxicating.

Not going to peek at her until she hits target temp 200.
    -----------------
    Hook'em Horns!!

2013 Medium BGE
    2013 Mini BGE