Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fantasy Brisket - a new way...

Greetings friends!!

In honor of a rare day off, I decided to throw a 16 pound packer brisket on the big green egg. Even after trimming I'll bet it was still 15 pounds. And, as with all my briskets, I decided to mix it up a bit this time.

Added an additional big hickory lump when I added the meat. I usually only load cold.

Added three Kingsford briquettes when I added the meat. I usually get a good smoke ring - gonna test out someone's theory here.

And finally...

What's that? I two tiered the SAME BRISKET?!?!!

Yup. I don't think I've seen this here before. I took the trimmed fat and loaded the top of the swing grate (CGW-the best) with self basting non seasoned goodness. What will this accomplish? Prolly more mess. Maybe lost rub washed off as the drippings cascade down. Certainly more mess. But HOPEFULLY some sort of extra flavored slammin' bark that adds another level to the meat.

Only time will tell.

Ill let you know how it turns out.

As an aside, ill be using my Shun chef knife to slice-fresh back from the Shun guys (sharpened/retipped). Got it off a co-worker at the restaurant for $80,shipped it to Shun, and it's back. All the chefs around here use shun btw.

Thanks for reading!
8-Damien
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    No matter how good or bad this turns out, it's great that you are trying it just to see the results.  Keep us posted. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2013
    I like it!  You may have just invented the "MaskedMarvel style brisket".  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Impressed with the look of the bark. Not impressed with the finished fat pieces. Yucko. Might see if they can be converted into dôg treats.

imageimage
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Brisket looks good. If not dog treats for the fat, may be time for a clean burn.  Let us know how it turned out taste wise.  
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm dying to hear how it came out...... pics of the cut meat!
    That looks great! What temp and how long was your cook?
  • porta
    porta Posts: 88
    "Fantasy Brisket" ha, I love it! Bravo for trying something different.I am requesting some cut meat pics as well.
    68% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • MaskedMarvel
    edited August 2013
    Clean burn?  Pssshh...  :p

It's FTC until my draft Saturday at noon.  This is a brutal league and I'm drafting the two spot - the worst.  I'll pic up after then!

rsmith193 said:
    That looks great! What temp and how long was your cook?
    I always go for ~225* but went ~250*/275* on this one.  Took a very short 13 hours to hit 195*.

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    edited August 2013
    @MaskedMarvel-That is a great looking meteorite-the target visual on a brisket cook.    Good luck with the draft and the eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Really looking forward to report on how this turns out; interesting to see what, if any, influence the melted fat had on the finished product.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • MaskedMarvel
    edited August 2013
    Well. The verdict is in. Not my best. Definitely not my worst. The smoke ring is minuscule. Not much smoke flavor. Could have used more salt. No need to do the briquette lump trick, IMHO. image The upper tiered fat trick, however.... I've NEVER had a juicier brisket. :) Now, this one had an ENORMOUS point. Larger than the flat. So that may have helped. The Egg is a greasy mess.. But there were juices dripping eagerly out of the meat, even after resting for 12 hours. I tried to catch a drip in the next pic... image Hard to see it.. Anyway. I'll give this guy a 7 out of ten. More rub next time.. Rub on the trimmed fat upper tier. Looking forward to sandwiches and occasional heated up with sauce. Point will go back in for burnt ends in a few days. Should turn out delicious. Thanks for reading friends! 8-D Oh, my draft went as expected, with two immediate trades after the draft giving me a little more hope...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Very good pics, thanks for sharing.

So, I guess the upper-tier fat move is one you will do again?

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • MaskedMarvel
    Definitely doing it again and adding at least s and p to the upper tier fat. Sorry for the weird paragraph formatting. iPad here.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE