Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt question

Options
I have a 16lb butt boneless that I'm gonna do indirect at 250-275 dome temp. How many hours do you think it'll take me to cook this? Plus at what internal temp should I be looking to pull it? Thanks for all and any advice

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Generally, you are looking at between 1.5 and 2 hours per pound at that temp. I pull mine at 200 internal.

You could cook it at 300 dome and get the same results in less time.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    im thinking between16 to 18 hours and I pull mine at 190 inturnal temp and then ftc for at least a hour 

2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    You can never go wrong with the calculation of 1.5 to 2 hours per pound, however a better method would be to use a remote probe thermometer that monitors the temperature throughout your cook. You can set an alarm for the desired temperature.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Are you sure you don't have two 8lb butts wrapped together? If it is 16lb I would cut it in half and have two 8lber's. it will cook in half the time and be just as good.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Options
    My large egg is dead on at 2 hrs per pound for boston butt which would mean 32 hrs at 230/250. I agree cut in half and pack it full of lump, you will need it.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Gandy Dancer
    Options
    Here is some good reading from Thirdeye
  • Don't Egg me on
    Options
    Good idea Shtgunal3! If its not two 8lbers then ill make it one!
  • tkhelm
    tkhelm Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Not a minute before 190 internal and FTC for at least an hour. I've seen a lot of variability in time between 1 to 2 hours per pound, and even longer once--I cook at 225-250F. Paid the price for getting antsy once and pulling at too low an internal temp: pork roast(-ish) rather than pulled pork. If you have an air gap between two 8-pound butts they will cook in about the same time as one 8-pound butt. Some folks use bamboo skewers to keep space between multiple butts when cooking for a crowd.
  • Don't Egg me on
    Options
    Here's my next dilemma, as y'all said before it is two pieces of meat wrapped together. I weighed both and one was 9lbs and the other is 7lbs both boneless. Should I start them both at the same time and pull the smaller one around 14hrs/190 internal temp or should I start the big one first then add the small one? I only have one internal probe as well... Thanks everyone for ur input
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Add them at the same time. All pieces of meat are different, and there's no telling which will come off first. I'd puton at the same time, and pull, then FTC, when needed.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    Add them at the same time. All pieces of meat are different, and there's no telling which will come off first. I'd puton at the same time, and pull, then FTC, when needed.
    +1  Did an 8 and a 5 pound butt today.  Both on at the same time.  Smaller one finished only 30 minutes before the larger one.  You may also get surprised and the bigger one can finish first.  Check temps of both.  
    Options
    Here r the boys going on