Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Underbite After High Heat Cook

Options
bicktrav
bicktrav Posts: 640
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
I went to use my egg last night, and noticed that it had developed a pretty severe underbite.  The last time I used it was over the weekend for a very high heat pizza cook.  About a week or two ago, I replaced the cast iron grate that the lump sits on with a much more open stainless steel grate that allows more air through.  The pizza cook last weekend with the new grate resulted in a roaring fire with flames that were licking the sides of the egg/gasket, and occasionally spitting flares through the vent at the bottom.  Anyway, I'm not sure how this extreme heat could have caused an underbite, so maybe it's not related; nonetheless, I'm thinking of just going back to my normal cast iron grate now.  And the bigger problem is how do I fix the underbite?  I'm putting a call into BGE today, but figured I'd ask here too.  Really bugged about this.  My egg is only a few months old, and I feel like I shouldn't be having this kind of issue.  By the way, also probably worth mentioning that the gasket seems fried in certain areas.  Do those things really only last a few months before they have to be replaced?  That just seems a bit ridiculous.  Anyway, any help anyone can give would be appreciated. 

Here are some pics of the problems.  First is of the underbite; second is of the fried gasket (you can see that it's burnt away in the back).

Southern California

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Same issue here. I have learned to make sure the bands are parallel all the way around the egg and it seems to be helping!!! 

Id tighten those band bolts a little more too!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).