Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Underbite After High Heat Cook

bicktravbicktrav Posts: 374
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
I went to use my egg last night, and noticed that it had developed a pretty severe underbite.  The last time I used it was over the weekend for a very high heat pizza cook.  About a week or two ago, I replaced the cast iron grate that the lump sits on with a much more open stainless steel grate that allows more air through.  The pizza cook last weekend with the new grate resulted in a roaring fire with flames that were licking the sides of the egg/gasket, and occasionally spitting flares through the vent at the bottom.  Anyway, I'm not sure how this extreme heat could have caused an underbite, so maybe it's not related; nonetheless, I'm thinking of just going back to my normal cast iron grate now.  And the bigger problem is how do I fix the underbite?  I'm putting a call into BGE today, but figured I'd ask here too.  Really bugged about this.  My egg is only a few months old, and I feel like I shouldn't be having this kind of issue.  By the way, also probably worth mentioning that the gasket seems fried in certain areas.  Do those things really only last a few months before they have to be replaced?  That just seems a bit ridiculous.  Anyway, any help anyone can give would be appreciated. 

Here are some pics of the problems.  First is of the underbite; second is of the fried gasket (you can see that it's burnt away in the back).

Southern California

Comments

• CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,195
    edited August 2013
    Same issue here. I have learned to make sure the bands are parallel all the way around the egg and it seems to be helping!!! 

Id tighten those band bolts a little more too!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on me ol cock

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).