Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Unwanted guests

I found these guys almost directly above my patio egg last night. The smoke didn't seem to bother them but I don't think they liked the can of Raid.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Damn I hate those things. Giv'em a blast for me. Vancouver area of BC, just finished a record dry month of July and very little rain in August - produced a bumper crop of yellow jackets. Cooking outside is OK, but you have to eat inside. Damn, I hate those things. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Hate those...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,866
    Nuke em from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • I had a redwasp nest under the lip of my egg table right behind the hinge. I was wiping down my table and nearly got lit up by a swarm of those suckers. They didnt care for the raid, either, though.

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I know what you mean about unwanted guests!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    ive got some living in the handrail coming down a long set of steps from the street to the house, they keep away all sorts of unwanted guests
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • LeoHat2
    LeoHat2 Posts: 32

I had a small wasp nest develop under the daisy wheel one winter. They didn't survive the clean out cook. 

Unlike bees, paper wasps don't mind the smoke. Ground wasps are **** though, hard to get bug spray down into the hive to kill all of them. The phrase "Kill it with Fire" applies pretty well.

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    No raid needed.  Vacuum cleaner works well for bees and wasps too.  Make sure you take off the head and extend the wand as far as possible.  Walk slowly and stand really still, then just wave the end of the wand around knocking on the nest as much as possible. Those guys try to attack the end of the wand and get sucked up into the bag!  Once all the flyers are sucked up, removing the hive is really simple.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• LeoHat2
    LeoHat2 Posts: 32
    SmyrnaGA said:
    No raid needed.  Vacuum cleaner works well for bees and wasps too.  Make sure you take off the head and extend the wand as far as possible.  Walk slowly and stand really still, then just wave the end of the wand around knocking on the nest as much as possible. Those guys try to attack the end of the wand and get sucked up into the bag!  Once all the flyers are sucked up, removing the hive is really simple.

You are a hell of lot braver than I.

• If they're above the egg, you're lucky. Fire it up and knock the nest loose, gravity will do the rest. I had a huge hornets nest in a tree and used this approach with a firepit and a pair of hedge clippers. Works great!!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    wusses... ;)  Wait until dark when they are sleeping, then I take a piece of paper on the end of a stick, add a bit of lighter fluid light it.. and then just hold the flame up to nest.  singes their wings right off.  Since they no longer have wings they fall to the floor.  Now just stomp (with foot coverings) and sweep.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I take my motorcycles as much as possible on trips/errands, haven't used my pickup in several months.  However, I've been cleaning up some things in the yard and this afternoon had to make a run to the dump with the truck.  
    As I started to open the driver's door, I noticed a whole bunch of wasps hanging out on the rear-view mirror, and once I was safely inside I saw there was a nice big nest behind the side mirror.  Slamming the door got several of the residents upset.
    As I started down the street I started swinging the mirror back-n-forth, up-n-down (thank goodness for power mirrors!) and wasps kept emerging, either really mad or dreadfully injured.  
    While waiting in line at the dump I scraped the rest of the nest out with my truck key, releasing two final wasps; one very angry but lost, who flew off to the south, and the other that sweared at me but dropped to the pavement.  
    A fun trip with no stings; today was a good day.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566

I was out cleaning the man cave to get ready for tomato canning tomorrow and found this guy next to my egg. He is about 3"+ and scared the poop out of me when I first saw him. After a quick Google I spared his life and put in the Arachnid relocation program after finding it was harmless. It is easily the biggest spider I ever almost walked into.

• Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Don't know the real name but we always called those a writer spider. Beautiful they are the heebie jeebies they give :)
    Southern Indiana
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited August 2013

I was out cleaning the man cave to get ready for tomato canning tomorrow and found this guy next to my egg. He is about 3"+ and scared the poop out of me when I first saw him. After a quick Google I spared his life and put in the Arachnid relocation program after finding it was harmless. It is easily the biggest spider I ever almost walked into.

Banana Spider.  My daughters used to catch bugs and feed them.  Nothing like riding a dirt bike through the orange groves, and then see one of these suckers crawling up the INSIDE of you face shield.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Real name is Golden Orb Spider.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    most-est real-est name is nephila clavipes

Nice pic of the spider. 

• That thing would scare me if I saw it in my garage. If it happened to me, my policy would be "splat first, ask questions later."
    Flint, Michigan