Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip pan for 32# of pork butt

Options
As I have mentioned i am cooking 32# of pork butt tonight for a friends ribfest. I currently have the small stainless drip pan from ceramicgrillstore. Should I have a aluminum pie pan on the stainless to hold more of the drippings?
Also, this cook will be done on site 20 miles from my house. I'm confident on timing but a bit nervous I can't look out at the temp. On my nighttime bathroom break. Any suggestions on that?

Comments

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options

If the drip pan doesn't cover most of your platesetter or whatever you're using to make it indirect, just cover it with some tin foil so it doesn't get too messy.

As far as the temp issue, as long as you make sure your temp is stable, I wouldn't worry about it.  My egg rarely varies in temp more than a few degrees on overnights once I've got it stable.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Deviledegger
    Options
    I've cooked a fair amount of butts at this point so I do trust the egg. It's nice being nearby.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree you may need more drip pan coverage.  You could just buy a big foil pan or use foil.  If using foil I would form it into a pan to try to catch some of the drippings. 

Just to make sure I understand- you are driving 20 miles away, setting up the egg and putting the butts on, then once stable you are driving back home to bed?  Is the egg at someone's house that could watch it?  I'm sure it will be fine, but that would make me a little uneasy as well.  Probably a little late to get something like a Party Q if you don't already have one.  How about a tent? ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.