Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did I ruin my lump charcoal?

Options
Well yesterday I set off a couple bombs for spiders in my polebarn, later in the afternoon when I opened up the barn I realized I had 100lb of lump charcoal still in the bags inside the barn. Do you think it will still be good or should I throw it out and get new.
Herrin,IL.

Comments

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    As long as it's still in the bags, I would say you'd be OK.  I'm going to be doing the same thing to the outbuilding I keep my lump in.  That didn't enter my mind.  Really curious as to what our more scientifically inclined eggers have to say on the subject.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    I think you should be fine, but I would make sure you let that charcoal burn for a while before you cook on it.  I would set it aside and use it for high temp cooks.  Low and slow is probably not a good idea.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I would say if it's in the bag it'd be easy to "forget" that it ever happened, unless you were a spider it could get a little messy.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Options
    I would be curious if you even did anything to the spiders. From what I understand you really can't kill a spider that way. What I was told a spider has pads on his feet and really doesn't clean himself anyways so that form of transference is out. Also something about spiders stay hidden most of the time so you normally don't get enough directly on them with a Bomb. This was all told to me by the orkin man who was trying to sell me something. He wouldn't sell me any services for spiders. Says if he sees them he can kill them otherwise nothing he can put down that will kill long term.
    Southern Indiana
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    In all likelihood, you'd be fine.  For me, it wouldn't be worth the worry though.  I'd just get new lump. 
    Southern California
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Charcoal is porous and absorbs anything it can--that's why it's used in so many filters.  That being said, if it's inside a multiwall bag, it's only going to absorb things that get through the bag.

The question is if that pesticide oxidizes, or if it's a powder that lands on surface and the bugs pick up.  I don't know how it works.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    they say spiders crawl up your nose while you sleep, maybe inhaleing lump smoke from charcoal soaked in spider poison will help that
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,649
    Options
    Still in the bag? I'd use it.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Open up a few bags. If you find any dead spiders inside, get new lump.

Just kidding. Probably okay for hot and fast cooks. But I would be careful, because all of the lump may not be lit and blazing during a cook, you may get some fumes. Probably not enough to hurt you though. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Options
    If for some reason after you cook with it you feel like dancing on your back and kicking you legs and arms in the air you might want to get checked out.
    Southern Indiana