Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT.. Who have you met?

Comments

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited August 2013

Phil Mickelson, Troy Aikman, Lee Trevino, Ben Crenshaw and Rick Perry.....not at the same time of course.  All three golfers were really cool and exactly what you would expect them to be.  Real genuine and tons of stories, especially Trevino. 

Only time backstage was with the Randy Rogers Band at Billy Bob's in Fort Worth. 

*EDIT*  Almost forgot I met Walt Garrison and Earl Campbell at the old Copenhagen-Skoal Rodeo in the Fort Worth Stockyards when I was a kid and got to talk to both of them.  I remember Earl just being laid back in his seat with a cowboy hat with a huge feather band and a monster dip of snuff and Walt was the quintessential country boy and smaller than I thought he would be and seemed like he'd been making quite a few trips to the bar.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    edited August 2013
    I met Several of the Steelers back in the heyday. Franco Harris was the one I remember most. Had his autograph for awhile but lost it somewhere along the way. Rode a double decker bus with them to the event center. It was a bad deal all in all. They were there to honor and remember all the Evansville Aces basketball team killed in a plane crash. Get all those football players in attendance and what happens? A basketball game breaks out! Steelers againstthe former Aces players. Scott Studwell threw out the first pitch to me in my little game...short career as a catcher lol. I did meet Billy Squire back in the day. Got to sing "The Stroke" onstage. It was a radio contest.
    Southern Indiana
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

1. Rage Against the Machine at a Denny's at 2:00am after watching them perform at Red Rocks in 1996.  They ate at the table next to us, and literally no one else in the place knew who they were.  They were all very cool, and very personable.

2. My cousin's husband is a studio musician in Nashville. He knows I like Allison Krauss and Union Station, and when I mentioned an interest in Jerry Douglas' music, he said, "He's a close friend of mine.  Here, hang on."  He made a call and handed me his cell phone, and it was Jerry.  I didn't officially meet him, but we talked on the phone for about a minute.  A little awkward, but very cool.

3.  On a flight to Tucson, I sat next to Jennie Finch.  I didn't recognize her until the very end of the flight when I asked her if she was the famous USA softball player.  She said yes, introduced herself... then introduced me to her husband.  It went from awesome to uncomfortable almost immediately. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• sodigthisbigcrux
    sodigthisbigcrux Posts: 127
    edited August 2013
    tons and tons  of Jazz musicians and a lot of rock ones. All of Jane's Addiction, All Chili Peppers (when John was with them), All of Foo Fighters except Nate...All three Beastie Boys, but at different times...lots more. I lived in Hollywood for years and have worked in the music industry for close to two decades...so I know I'm forgetting some. The novelty kind of wears off after a while

Sat next to Andy **** at a party once..he was an obnoxious ass and almost got the crap beat out of him by a buddy because Andy put his hand on his....my very straight friend didn't take kindly to it...

Oh..edited to add that at the same party I partook in some green with HR from Bad Brains, if anyone knows who he is.

Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • I haven't met anyone famous (except for Little Steven). I met Isaiah Thomas (a Detroit Piston from the 80's) while working at a gas station. I don't remember what he drove, but after filling his tank the cheapskate didn't tip me.
    Flint, Michigan
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Barbie Benton :x :\"> :P
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    vidalia1 said:
    Barbie Benton :x :\"> :P
    The plane, boss... the plane!
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Played golf with Phil M when he was a sophmore in college during xmas break in San Diego. Saw him a lot at a driving range in Mission Valley.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited August 2013
    Hmm, Bob Feller, Joe Morgan, Chipper Jones, Andruw Jones, Boog Powell, Bobby Thompson, Gordy Howe, Oliver (Good Morning Starshine), Max Patkin (The Clown Prince of Baseball), Jim Hunt (former Governor of NC), Jimmy Smith (bass player for The Gourds), Lynn Rossetto Kasper (interviewed for the Splendid Table), Alton Brown, James Ogle (assistant conductor NC Symphony, Conductor, Boise Symphony), Stan Musial, David Justice, Art Monk, James Worthy, Twiggy Sanders (Harlem Globetrotters) probably a few others.

Indirectly, here are a couple of wowsers:  1) I got to look up the rear ramp of Jesse Jackson's plane when he was running for president, 2) I got to eat a sandwich that had been turned down by the Beach Boys and 3) I saw Bob Hope in LAX but didn't have the nerve to approach him.   
    The Naked Whiz
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

Met John Elway at a furniture store where they were introducing his new line of furniture.  I live in the same neighborhood as Earnest Byner - see him all the time off season.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    My most interesting encounter was with Julian Bond and although he is prominent in political circles as well as with the NAACP when I met him he was giving a talk on "The History of Rock and Roll" at the college where I taught. This is something that he is very interested in as a hobby and his talk was brilliant with recorded bits to illustrate whatever point that he was making.
    Since he and I are the same age we discovered that we had many of the same musical memories.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    years ago I met Telly Savalis,Mickey Mantel Ed Krainpool ,Yogi Bera,as of latley I met Joe Ganiscolli (Vito from the Sopranos) Frederico Castalucci (Furio from the Sopranos) Joe Peppertone former NY Yankee Reggie Jackson former NY Yankee Joe Girardi curent manager of the NY Yankees 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell in LA after a show at the Palomino. Roger McGuinn. Butter Bean, the boxer, who was actually a really nice and humble guy when not fighting. Joe Frazier. I got in a shoving match with Iggy Pop in the late 60s/early 70s. "Bubbles" Hargrave was my next door neighbor when I was a kid (1926 NL batting champion). Joe Morgan, Pete Rose. Dave Matthews. Warren Haynes. Probably a few others. I doubt they remember me.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    My daughter met Jadeveon Clowney at lunch today, does that count. :D

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Years ago I thought I met Elvis, but it could have been the shrooms, since it was on an alien spaceship...
    Does that count?
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Rode in a car with BB King.  Had Fuzzy Zoeller chip a shot over my head at a Masters practice round.  He missed the green and I was between the ball and the hole.  Started to move out of the way and he said "You don't need to move, I'm going over you, not at you"  Had a great view of the shot.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nothing like being molested at an eggfest...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    henapple said:
    Nothing like being molested at an eggfest...
    That's OK.  I'd go to jail for that.  Beat me, whip me, make me write bad checks !!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I cant tell if Kristi is smiling or cringing. =))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    The Three Stooges! ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    VI... Did you spill beer on your shirt or is that titty sweat?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Magic Johnson, Darryl Dawkins (Chocolate Thunder) and Alex Haley--the author of Roots.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    I met General Petraeus and his entourage of sexy female captains in our day room in my office in Iraq while they were waiting for one of our flights. He challenged me to a game of ping-pong and even with my 1SG ordering me to lose, I sacked up and buried him 21-2. Got a MNCI 4-star challenge coin out of it though.

Met Diamond Dallas Page and Angelina Jolie on flight from Kuwait to Baghdad.

Ditka.

Met and seen various Bears players booted out of bars on the Chicago north shore for being a$$holes.

Kevin Costner (pre-Waterworld)

Had drinks with John C. Reilly

William Peterson (Actor - CSI)

Sang drunken karaoke with Vedder once at Stanley's in Chicago
    Pentwater, MI
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited August 2013
    henapple said:
    VI... Did you spill beer on your shirt or is that titty sweat?
    I think it's tequila.  After a couple of snorts, my wife usually makes me drink out of a Sippy Cup so I don't ruin the furniture.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Other than a few hockey players and Tom Selleck Freddie is about it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    All of Motley Crue, Tesla, WASP, LA Guns, Pretty Boy Floyd, Ratt, Jon Bon Jovi, Rene Russo, William Shatner
  • The year after I graduated from college a friend that worked for ESPN hooked me up with a gig following a camera guy around during a Big Monday basketball game Oklahoma State vs. Kansas St. because I was familiar with the players.  I was sitting in the first row a few hours before game time and **** Vitale walked up and sat 2 seats from me.  It was just he and I for about 5 minutes before he did a few pregame spots that I watched.  He wasn't feeling well and they were keeping everyone away from him.  We talked about Oklahoma State basketball and he kept telling me how lucky I was to grow up attending games at Gallagher Iba Arena.  I was amazed by what a regular guy he was.  Anyway, he was really sick and struggling to get through the game.  I sat at half court behind the camera man, during play, and listened to him call the whole game.  Was cool to watch his statistician scratch stats on a kids Barney scratch pad and then watch him work them into the broadcast.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

I'm sure most of you have either read "Band of Brothers" by Steven Ambrose, or seen the HBO mini-series based on it.  Don Malarkey was the longest serving soldier in Easy Company, the original "Band".  Born In Astoria, Oregon, he was in ROTC at the University of Oregon at the time of Pearl Harbor. He immediately enlisted in the army, volunteered for airborne, and wound up in the 101st Airborne Screaming Eagles, where he served through the end of the war in Europe.

A few years ago, at a signing event of a book he co-wrote with a local author, I had the opportunity to shake his hand and visit briefly with Don.  A true American hero. 

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited August 2013
    I've met many NFL players and coaches as both my sons work in the NFL. My favorite person though was someone I met in the old Denver airport. I was returning to Ca. from a board meeting of the Denver Conservative Baptist Seminary. While waiting for the plane, I was reading some passages from Exodus in the Old Testament, all of a sudden I heard a voice behind me and I thought "Moses", I turned around and it was Charlton Heston. We had a great talk, even though it was kind of freaky.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.