Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo butt question

Anyone coat the bbr with anything before foiling? Thanks.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I added some vinegar and brown sugar to the foil one time and it completely messed up the flavor profile. Now I don't. I think that the vinegar would be fine but it was the sugar that threw everything off.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Cooking 4 small turbos. On mine I'm trying something new. Injected with Wickers.. A vinegar base marinade.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    That should be good. I put the vinegar and sugar in the foil thinking it would make a sticky glaze with the vinegar cutting some of the sweetness. This would add to a layer of flavor on top of the bark(in my mind) I think that the vinegar was just absorbed into the bark and the sugar totally overpowered everything else.All I could taste was sweet and smoke. Very underwhelming.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    I spray with apple juice/cider vinegar when foiling.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• scarri3r
    scarri3r Posts: 29
    edited August 2013
    I inject with Mixon's hog recipe and let it marinade for a few hours in the fridge.  Then I pat it dry and apply my rub and let it sit for about 30 minutes on my counter.  Next I place the butt in the egg at 325 dome temp and use a DigiQ to keep it there and clip the temp prob onto the dome thermometer.  I put my butt in an aluminum pan to help keep the clean up to a minimum. Once the butt reaches 160 internal,  I foil it with a cup of apple juice in the pan. I pull it off once the butt hits 200 or 205 internal.  Depending on the size of the butt, it should only take 5-6 hours total time. Pics below. All those juices in the pan once the butt is done can be used to keep your pulled sections moist.  You can also use your favorite BBQ sauce in conjunction with the juices.  It's pretty tasty.  I ate pulled pork for a week.  This was a 9 1/2 lb butt.
  • Just foil.  Straight up.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269

Just foil.  Straight up.

+1 here

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120