Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket question

Options
I want to cook a brisket on real low temp, say 225. What's a good internal temperature to shot for if I want it extremely tender? Also, any good suggestions for rubs? I cook pork all the time, and now want to tackle the brisket!! Thanks!!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    195-205 temp. Ultimately when a probe moves through the thickest part of the flat like "butter".

S&P is the traditional rub. Captain Brisket(Centex) uses Byrons butt rub to get chicks. Oak for smoke or those dudes from Texas will come looking for you. In kilts.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    +1 on Eggcelsiors comments, S&P is great I have also used dizzy pig cow lick 50\50 with turbino raw sugar. That gives it a great bark. I inject with au jus prior to rub as well.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I must say I am a new convert to Bad Byron's, but that stuff is GREAT! It goes on brisket, pork, popcorn, fries, ANYTHING. Highly recommended.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Half salt and half pepper is tastier well beyond what you think. Give it a try.
    Dunedin, FL
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    @Black_Badger Do you add anything else with Bad Byron's to use with briskets (ie. pepper, etc.)? Or do you use it exclusively?

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts