Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie question regarding charcoal

Options

Got our BGE Large last weekend.  We really are enjoying it.  Question regarding charcoal-is there any way to cut down on the "smokey" flavor while cooking?  Loved the flavor with the chicken and hamburgers we made but the peaches were a little too smokey.  Are there any techniques or brands of lump charcoal that might help with that?

Thanks again.

Comments

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    How long after after you light the charcoal do you wait before you put your food on?

You should light your charcoal and wait until all visible smoke disappears before you put your food on, usually 15 to 20 minutes.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Rockwood or Ozark Oak are mild.  Check out the Naked Whiz's charcoal reviews too.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I totally agree with @dlk7. I always got complaints about the smokey flavor when using BGE or Royal Oak. The complaints got less after @henapple brought me some Ozark Oak but she still complained about my shrooms being smokey but not after I got some Rockwood. Both are great lumps.

@Hungry Joe makes a valid point about waiting on the clear smoke. You may also want to try cooking raised direct so you can cook at hotter temps which helps cut the smokey flavor

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. I live in Indiana and it looks like neither brands are available locally.

Are there any brands with a broader distribution that might be available in my area?

Great tip on waiting for the smoke to clear.  I think I am guilty of putting things on too early although we put on the peaches after our hamburgers had already cooked.

• Mattman3969
    Options
    What part of Indiana? I am just the other side of the river in Ky. If you are close enough maybe we could get a pallet purchase goin on.

analyze adapt overcome

• dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    I live in Huntington which is in the Fort Wayne area.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    We are about 5hrs apart

analyze adapt overcome

• Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Options
    IN is pretty limited as far as lump goes... I had the same issue with some Ribeyes a few weeks back. Patience is key, let your exhaust clear and you'll be fine with royal oak.

LBGE

BTFU!

• Mattman3969
    Options
    dihtn said:
    ; Are there any techniques or brands of lump charcoal that might help with that?

Thanks again.

If you are liking the taste of the majority of your cooks try raised direct for the ones that are to smokey. With the grid raised to the felt line you can go higher with your temps and not worry with burning from being to close to the flame. I said it in a previous post but higher temps along with a clean burning fire go along way with the smokey taste.

analyze adapt overcome

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    edited August 2013
    Options
    My guess is this is a not waiting long enough for the smoke to settle problem.  But you still may want to give another brand a try.  I use Ozark Oak, and highly recommend it.  Certainly the best I've used.  If you're interested in buying online, a smattering of vendors sell it.  Firecraft offers free shipping on orders over $100.  I bought in bulk from them.  With no shipping costs the lump worked out to about $1/lb.  I found that to be a reasonable enough price to splurge for Ozark Oak.  A lot of people also love Rockwood, but it's scarcely available.  
    Southern California
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    bicktrav said:
     A lot of people also love Rockwood, but it's scarcely available.  

Scarcely available in retail outside of STL, but shippable.  I'll ship by the pallet to every state but California, and our online dealer does the same in 3 bag increments.

Outside of STL, we're now in KC, Lexington, Cape G.  Soon to be in Atlanta, and [hopefully] Dallas & Philly.

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    bicktrav said:
     A lot of people also love Rockwood, but it's scarcely available.  

Scarcely available in retail outside of STL, but shippable.  I'll ship by the pallet to every state but California, and our online dealer does the same in 3 bag increments.

Outside of STL, we're now in KC, Lexington, Cape G.  Soon to be in Atlanta, and [hopefully] Dallas & Philly.

Yes, sorry, I didn't mean to suggest it can't be had.  Would love to try it myself, but I'm in California.
    Southern California
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Search for Humphrey's Hardwood Lump Charcoal. Very mild smoke.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio